Heat Stroke or Something Else?

Queen of the chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Unionville, MO
The past two weeks we have had excessive heat with most days being between 98-104. The vents are open on the coop. I let them free range, so they can find cool earth under the coop to burrow in and other shady areas. I also make sure they don't run out of water, although I can't always keep the water cool when I have to be at work all day. As of today we have lost 7 chickens, including my best boy, Sterling from apparent heat stroke. However, it has only been my adult chickens (all around 14-16 months old) who are being affected. We are finding them in the coop, usually the floor, but two were dog piled in one nest box. This coop is no worse than the others and better than some as far as ventilation. Could their be other health problems at play? What's the best way to keep this from happening again.

Are you SURE it's from the heat? My girls have been tolerating repeated days over 100. I do have some bushes and they hang out in the shade of those, but no overheating issues. I'd be checking for something else.... so sorry.

No, I'm not sure. What else should I look for? The first two that were dog piled with a black Australorp in the nest box we assumed sufficated . We aren't sure why they were all crowding in there unless it just seemed cool and dark. That's why we started being sure to let them out early in the day so they could find other shady spots. The last two times, we have just found them on the floor. I really don't know what is going on. It's just been a terrible summer for my birds. I lost a total of 16 to predators since Memorial Day Weekend. We caught 5 coons and a possum and decided we had that problem solved and now this.

This week the temps are supposed to be cooler, if I keep loosing birds I will know something is up, but I have no idea what.

Have you wormed them recently? I really don't know where to tell you to start except to look for parasites, or related symptoms. That's usually my starting point.

Back
Top Bottom