Heat stroke?

Beth Kane

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
Is heat stroke a thing with chickens? My well meaning family put my 'baby flock' (4 Australorps and 4 Orpingtons about 11 weeks old) out in their portable run this morning....didn't notice the weather and when I got back from my errands found them panting in the baking sun! I moved them immediately into the shade on green grass and dipped all their beaks, got them drinking and they all gradually recovered got up on their feet and started to eat and forage happily again!
Just one little Buff Orpington rooster has taken longer to recover....still panting after an hour and I've been dripping water into his beak with my finger which he gladly accepts. My concern is he hasn't stood up (just lying on the grass) and hasn't eaten like the others.
Is there some sort of solution I can give him to help rehydrate?

When it is 90 or so or the humidity is high. I give sav-a chic electrolytes in a waterer. I also make sure they have fresh water too.

Deep shade so they have layers to get out of the heat.

When it is 90 or so or the humidity is high. I give sav-a chic electrolytes in a waterer. I also make sure they have fresh water too.

Deep shade so they have layers to get out of the heat.
Yup I live in South Africa and we're at the beginning of summer! They always have fresh water and I usually choose a good shady area.... Unfortunately my 15 year old son did it for me while I was out this morning 🙈
I found a recipe for an electrolyte mix and my little rooster is starting to look better ... Pecking at some food and grass a bit! 👍

When my chickens get really hot on really hot days I will get a tub of water and put them in it most of the time they will happily sit there. You can also give them frozen corn or you could freeze some meal worms sometimes I do that to. Make sure to keep there water cold though chickens don’t drink hot or warm water, so make sure to put ice in there water.

Great news about your Roo! I wondered where you where that it was getting hot. We are in winter here. Its not bad in South Carolina though. Good luck with the heat. I do freeze small plastic totes with ice and they love the ice. I don't know if you have the freezer space. My girls love to play with ice cubes if they get cubes. Usually a small ice block that melts througout the day. Its usually hot and humid for 3 - 4 months of the year.

Back
Top Bottom