Heat stroke?

dreamofwinter

Songster
Mar 1, 2021
Downeast Maine
With the latest heat waves I'm sure this question is top of mind for many. This is my first summer having chickens in a hot, humid environment (have had them in southern CA, but the Northeast summers are a different thing entirely).

Saturday was sweltering hot with a heat index in the 90s. Our chickens have good shade and many watering areas, but I observed that one of my younger pullets seemed more affected than most as she was walking around with wings held out, panting, etc. Sunday was a little cooler, but she seemed worse, even spending some time lying halfway on her side and again with wings out and panting. I brought her inside the house for about 30 minutes to cool off, which seemed to help, and later she was up and behaving normally.

Yesterday (Monday) was a much cooler day, but she was still acting somewhat lethargic, spending time sitting with wings open or partly lying on her side but no panting. I started wondering if she might be egg bound. This morning, she came out of the coop fine and perched atop one of the structures in the run, but when she went to jump down, she was uncoordinated and needed to use an intermediate "step" rather than jumping straight down as she usually does. I brought her in the house and gave her an Epsom salt soak and set her up in a crate where she can rest.

The more I read, though, the more I think it's heat stroke. I worry it could be Marek's? But not sure she would have long periods of being coordinated in between her stumbling/lethargic episodes. I don't think she's egg bound as the posture seems wrong and she isn't straining to lay. One thing that may or may not be relevant here is that we noticed last week that she was drooling occasionally. That seems to have stopped. Also, her comb flopped over on Sunday.

Facts/summary
1) She is a 20-week-old Sapphire Gem from TSC who has been laying for less than 10 days. She's in the same body condition as the others her age.
2) Behavior: periods of lethargy, stumbling; sitting with one or both wings spread out. Two days ago, possible heat exhaustion.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? 48-72 hours
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. High heat and humidity.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Good appetite. Has been eating layer pellets with rest of flock, drinking water. Since bringing her inside she's had scrambled eggs and grapes as well as some grower crumble and water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Poop looks good! Normal.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Epsom salt bath, plus dripped some Sav-A-Chik solution in the side of her mouth a few drops at a time, which she swallowed (got about 10cc in).

What does everyone think - is this just a prolonged recovery from heat exhaustion/heat stroke, or should I worry it's something more serious?

Her last egg was probably Saturday, but I confess I haven't kept good track - I have four pullets who all came into lay just under two weeks ago and so haven't been expecting consistent eggs yet (eggs have been small, but normal). It could have been Sunday - my daughter did see her waiting in line for the preferred nest box that day.

I've got both electrolyte and regular water set up in her crate, and am giving her a syringe full (drop by drop at the side of her beak because I'm terrified of having her aspirate) of electrolyte water every 1.5 - 2 hours.

If a fecal float is something I could get at Tractor Supply, I might be able to get it, if I can get the time to drive there (30 minutes each way, we are ridiculously rural)

Sadly, the closest vet is three hours away.
I'll keep up the hydration and add some calcium.

If she's having an egg problem, would she still be having normal poops? Hers are quite healthy looking - light brown, well formed, a bit of white. Not watery or small or excessively large.

And thank you for your replies! Beginners like me are indebted to the experienced chicken tenders here :)

:thumbsup Hooray for poop! LOL. I come from a horse background and have been on poop watch for colicky horses plenty of times. Glad to hear it's a good sign here.

As far as calcium sources, what I have on hand are:
- Tums
- Oyster shell
- various calcium rich foods like yogurt, kale, whole raw milk

I'm guessing based on what I've read here, that the Tums may be the best in this situation, with the oyster shell freely available as well?

Update: not much improvement today. She's mainly sitting on her hocks with her feet curled, though she will also get up and walk on her hocks. Her overall balance seems better but still wobbly. Eyes are bright and she's eating well, but not drinking much, so I'm still giving electrolyte water via syringe. She won't eat the Tums so I've been crushing them into the electrolyte water too.

Based on my Googling I'm thinking it's either calcium deficiency or B vitamin deficiency so will just keep on with this course of treatment... and patience. I've learned a lot about the healing properties of time thanks to my Brahma roo who is on month four of recovery after a bad fight. The improvement is incremental but definitely there.
He was SO excited to have a lady in the sick bay (my mud porch) last night! Even with his bum leg, he danced and danced outside her crate. You could just about see the hen rolling her eyes.

Well, the mystery continues. Shadow has been bright, alert, and chatty the past two days, eating well, interested in her surroundings. She even laid an egg yesterday - the largest one she's ever laid, though still not larger than a normal adult hen's egg. It did have a weird bit of something yellowish and meaty stuck to the pointed end.

She still cannot stand up, though, and walks on her hocks. One leg is stronger than the other and sometimes she can push up onto that foot.

I've got more vitamins coming today and will continue to treat for a deficiency, but I'm beginning to fear Marek's :( Would she look and act completely healthy except for the leg strength/balance issue, if it were Marek's?

Back
Top Bottom