heat tolerant ducks

Quote:
I've got 2 acres total but the animals are limited to the 1/2 acre. On occasion I let the older ducks and chickens into the "real" backyard but I really limit this cuz I don't want them going into the neighbors yard and digging up her garden. We've been neighbors for 25+ years and they are great but I want to be respectful.

My DH sometimes gets ticked off when the ducks walk around on the driveway and leave their messes but then other times he doesn't really care. Personally, I love it when I come home and the ducks are sitting in the grass at the top of the driveway. They lift their heads up and wait for me to get out of the car and then they start talking to me. Usually, they stay sitting down and "chat"and that really cracks me up. It's like they're saying "hey lady, it's about time you got home, we've been waiting for you"
tongue.png

Quote:
Oh man you have Australian spotted ducks? I have seen pics they are beautiful. Can you post pics of yours? Please:fl

Here are my little beauties at their finest (Fall 2009). Right now they are going through a summer molt. His head is almost white with very little gray. Both of their colors are very, very muted but usually they are beautiful. I love them, they were well worth the money. I got them from Holderreads.

The duck Bella has quite the personality. She quacks like crazy when she sees me and the male Bo quacks quietly. He always gets between me and her - very protective. Can't wait to see how he is with ducklings next year. I've still got to do some baby proofing on their yard fencing so I haven't let her keep any eggs this year. Some of the holes in the fencing would let ducklings walk right through and their yard is surrounded by other animal yards so there's work to be done still. By next spring I should have it all set and ready for ducklings!

Last edited:
Quote:
I had never heard of these until you posted you were getting them several months back. They are beautiful and I love the blue feet/bill. Are they really as blue as it looks in the pix?

Quote:
I had never heard of these until you posted you were getting them several months back. They are beautiful and I love the blue feet/bill. Are they really as blue as it looks in the pix?

I found out about them because the Houston Zoo has them and Ringed Teals. I always liked the blue bills on both.

Unfortunately, they were always being moved from exhibit to exhibit and it seemed like every time i went i saw them less and less. I'm not even sure if they still have them, although i hope they do.

Yes they are quite blue. The bills are definitely a lot more bluer than their feet though. The bills are light blue and the feet are dark blue.

I have quite a few pics of them in my signature thread/link if you haven't seen the rest yet.

For the question about ducks and chickens together, I have seen a lot of people post on here that they do keep them together, but there was one thread recently made where someone had baby ducks in there with the chickens and some of them were pecked to death.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom