heated base for waterer

L and L

In the Brooder
Mar 2, 2023
central Kansas
Hello all, first time chicken person here. We are preparing for winter (central Kansas) and bought a Little Giant 3 gallon metal fount and a heated base for it. Today I realized that the heated base is 15" in diameter and the waterer 11-12" diameter. The heated base says "caution it gets very hot" - do I need to worry about injuring the chickens? Do they make a smaller heated base? I looked on Amazon and didn't see any. Maybe I need a bigger / wider waterer? Or is it no big deal? Just checking with all the experts out there! Thanks in advance for the help!

Hello all, first time chicken person here. We are preparing for winter (central Kansas) and bought a Little Giant 3 gallon metal fount and a heated base for it. Today I realized that the heated base is 15" in diameter and the waterer 11-12" diameter. The heated base says "caution it gets very hot" - do I need to worry about injuring the chickens? Do they make a smaller heated base? I looked on Amazon and didn't see any. Maybe I need a bigger / wider waterer? Or is it no big deal? Just checking with all the experts out there! Thanks in advance for the help!
I looked up wattage for a base and it's 125 watts. A cozy coop flat panel heater is 200 watts and chickens can't get burned on those, so they shouldn't be able to get burned on a lower-wattage heater.

To be sure, I would turn it on and test it but it's thermostatically controlled so you'd have to set like a bucket of ice on it. Then when it's on, you can see if you can leave your hand on it.

Back
Top Bottom