Heater panel vs Heated mat

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
I like to use heater panels or mats if we have a sick bird when the weather is cold. We have a sick hen right now who just started showing serious symptoms today. She is in the house but I purchased a heated mat today (mistaking it for a heater panel) and I wanted to use if for the floor of her pen for additional warmth. I've never used the mats before. It says in the directions that you can't cover the mat with anything or it won't work correctly; also that the bird has to sit on it for optimal warmth. So I was curious to see what others experience with the mats have been. I would think it wouldn't be very comfortable for a bird, especially a sick one, to sit on, if she couldn't have some shavings or a blanket or towel to snuggle in too. The mats are also a lot more expensive than the panels, so maybe they last longer? Lastly, it says on the box that the mat can be mounted vertically or horizontally, but how can the bird sit on it if it's vertical?

We've always used the heater panels in the past and I do like them, but they never last long, usually less than a year, and it seems like they fail quicker if they're used in very cold temperatures.

It says in the directions that you can't cover the mat with anything or it won't work correctly; also that the bird has to sit on it for optimal warmth.
Was this mat made for birds?
Many heat pads for pets are activated by the animal being on the mat.

Was this mat made for birds?
Many heat pads for pets are activated by the animal being on the mat.
It is a mat sold for poultry, yes. But last night I tried it by mounting it outside her little pen, and it did get warm. So Idk, maybe it gets warmer if she would sit on it, but the way it is it's plenty warm.

Back
Top Bottom