Heating chicken coop when power goese out?

peanutbutternje

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 15, 2014
I have hunted high and low looking for a safe cheap way to heat my coop if the power goes out with these really really cold temps. And I think I have stumbles onto a way.

Of course you need to consider maybe a cage to keep them from burning their feet. preventing the floor or walls from getting to hot etc.

Below is a link to several videos that show the concept. There is also a version that hangs, that I will be trying here real soon to see how it works. Also need to remember to make sure there is good ventilation. etc

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Candle+Powered+House+Heater

for something so unnecessary as adding heat.

I do agree that an open flame like the above suggestion is an absolute horrible way to heat a coop and poses stupid huge fire risk and should be avoided at pretty much all cost, but the question of if it's necessary or unnecessary to heat a coop isn't as black and white as many on this site insist, there are plenty of individual situations where heating benefits far out weight not heating benefits...

I do agree that an open flame like the above suggestion is an absolute horrible way to heat a coop and poses stupid huge fire risk and should be avoided at pretty much all cost, but the question of if it's necessary or unnecessary to heat a coop isn't as black and white as many on this site insist, there are plenty of individual situations where heating benefits far out weight not heating benefits...

If you have some kind of thinly feathered exotic breed, or some kind of cold intolerant peafowl, like you have, then yes, you may need heat. But for regular standard chickens, NO, you do not need to at all. You are not doing them any favor. They are well equipped to handle the cold, and don't need any help.

If you have some kind of thinly feathered exotic breed, or some kind of cold intolerant peafowl, like you have, then yes, you may need heat.  But for regular standard chickens, NO, you do not need to at all.  You are not doing them any favor.  They are well equipped to handle the cold, and don't need any help.

As I keep saying every situation is different, the answer is not black and white... Without knowing the individual's situation and the type of poultry they have as well as their birds health one should never jump to the 'no you don't need to heat the coop, it's bad' as that could be an ill advised answer in some individuals situations...

As I keep saying every situation is different, the answer is not black and white... Without knowing the individual's situation and the type of poultry they have as well as their birds health one should never jump to the 'no you don't need to heat the coop, it's bad' as that could be an ill advised answer in some individuals situations...

Perhaps you could share your particular situation requiring heat whenever you advise heat, so the reader could make a more informed decision.

There are plenty of opinions advising against it.

Last edited:
I have hunted high and low looking for a safe cheap way to heat my coop if the power goes out

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Candle+Powered+House+Heater
I would NOT use open flames, candles, propane stove - torch, or Kerosene heater. Things might have a tendency to catch fire if something combustible came in contact with it. I would check with your local fire department for suggestions. Some people do not heat a chicken coop. Others heat their coop and burn their chickens up a live. I do not know which is worse You will have to decide.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom