1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Heating chicken coop when power goese out?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by peanutbutternje, Nov 15, 2014.

1. peanutbutternje

peanutbutternje New Egg

Nov 15, 2014
    I have hunted high and low looking for a safe cheap way to heat my coop if the power goes out with these really really cold temps. And I think I have stumbles onto a way.

Of course you need to consider maybe a cage to keep them from burning their feet. preventing the floor or walls from getting to hot etc.

Below is a link to several videos that show the concept. There is also a version that hangs, that I will be trying here real soon to see how it works. Also need to remember to make sure there is good ventilation. etc

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Candle+Powered+House+Heater

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Where do you live? It is not generally recommended to heat a coop at all.

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Another great way to burn your coop down, for something so unnecessary as adding heat.

1 person likes this.
  4. Eagleeyeice

Eagleeyeice Chillin' With My Peeps

yep to that.

I saw that video and thought that if I wanted to burn my coop down this is how I'd do it.

5. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

I do agree that an open flame like the above suggestion is an absolute horrible way to heat a coop and poses stupid huge fire risk and should be avoided at pretty much all cost, but the question of if it's necessary or unnecessary to heat a coop isn't as black and white as many on this site insist, there are plenty of individual situations where heating benefits far out weight not heating benefits...

6. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    If you have some kind of thinly feathered exotic breed, or some kind of cold intolerant peafowl, like you have, then yes, you may need heat. But for regular standard chickens, NO, you do not need to at all. You are not doing them any favor. They are well equipped to handle the cold, and don't need any help.

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

As I keep saying every situation is different, the answer is not black and white... Without knowing the individual's situation and the type of poultry they have as well as their birds health one should never jump to the 'no you don't need to heat the coop, it's bad' as that could be an ill advised answer in some individuals situations...

8. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Perhaps you could share your particular situation requiring heat whenever you advise heat, so the reader could make a more informed decision.

There are plenty of opinions advising against it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  9. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    I would NOT use open flames, candles, propane stove - torch, or Kerosene heater. Things might have a tendency to catch fire if something combustible came in contact with it. I would check with your local fire department for suggestions. Some people do not heat a chicken coop. Others heat their coop and burn their chickens up a live. I do not know which is worse You will have to decide.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  10. JackE

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Hey Hokum, how about a wood stove? I tried that, but those darn birds kept messing with the draft adjustment, so I said the heck with it.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by