My coop is insulated. I’m hoping these heaters with produce just enough heat to keep it above freezing so my water does not freeze. That is the only reason I’m heating the coop. I have a horizontal nipple watering system and am trying these heaters first to see if they will work.
Don't count in it.....even if you have no ventilation.
The tube between bucket and pipe will probably freeze first.
Heat the water, not the coop, for freeze free water in winter.

https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/how-cold-is-too-cold-for-my-chickens/

Good article for taking care of your chickens and making sure they’re warm enough through the harshest of winters. Really helps! In my area, we can get down to -25 degrees F with the wind gusts for up to a few days or even a couple weeks! It can get DREADFULLY cold here. I plan to not put any heating device in the coop even if it gets really cold because it can cause a fire. And I want to be extra safe. So if it does happen to get down to those temps, I’m going to bring them into the garage and put them in a temporary setup. And that’s where I’ll put the heat lamp on them. Maybe an idea for you too? You can also put Vaseline on their combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. But chickens can handle the cold very well. Likely they won’t need a heat source since it can cause coop fires. I think the only reason to worry is if you see signs of them not wanting to do anything or you notice their combs and wattles fading colour, then that would be the time to give them a heat source.

I likely am going to give my chickens and geese a heat source this winter, but it’s not going to be in their coops because of the risk of a fire starting. Just some suggestions, of course I’m not an expert but that’s just some insight on what I’m p

What about the purple wattles? I'm not arguing, I genuinely don't know.

I don't use a heater because I'm afraid of fire, but we don't get too cold. And I have ducks.
Stop heating your coop. Do you have good ventilation. Chickens temp runs at 106F, They roost and cover up their feet. They grow a down coat. Just like some dogs they have two coats, their down one and their feathers. They snuggle together when it gets colder. If you start heating their coop as soon as it get cold ( to YOU) they won't grow their down coat. Chickens don't sweat, so they can't get rid of the excess heat your are providing. With heat and inadequate venting humidity builds up and the combs and birds get cold/wet
I also have a heat lamp ready to go on those -30F weeks.
I have my heat lamp attached to a locking connector hook that is attached to an eye hook in the ceiling. The heat lamp is on a timer and is never on all night long.

and hence frostbite. Keep your chickens DRY and they will be fine. Wash your hands but dry only one. Go outside when it's really cold and see how that wet hand feels.

If you have started heating already you might have to continue for this winter. But 0 F is nothing to chickens. What do you suppose the blue jays, the crows, the robins do in the winter. Not to mention the chick-a-dees we have here in Maine in the winter.

I kept 4 birds in an uninsulated coop without heat in the winter of '18-19 with temps -20- -30 and they were fine. Actually laid an egg every day that winter. Without a light even.

I'm right there with you OP, we're in the southern Adirondacks up where the mountains funnel some brutal winter winds down and Jan/Feb regularly see -10 to -20 for days at a time. I am sticking with the experienced opinions and not heating anything except the electric water bucket. just keeping drafts out, ventilation up (so any heating would be wasted), and plenty of dry pine bedding material for the ladies to walk on in the coop. I am going to put a couple little "warming huts" in the run so a cold bird can get in someplace snug to warm up if she wants, but it's going to be more for my conscience than their comfort probably :) The north and west sides of the run will get covered in plastic before things get too gnarly so that'll cut out those winds, and the coop is inside the run so it's double protection. I did get some extra hay to lay down throughout the season so they aren't on cold ground in the run too.

I live in the Purcell mountains in BC and from November to April we stay below freezing, closer to -15 C. I only turn on the heater when it gets below -25C for multiple days in a row. I rely heavily on their natural ability to stay warm, focus on moisture control and use Vaseline occasionally. I also put clear roofing on half of my insulated coop to get as much sun as possible. I have a Cozy Coop and placed it beside the roosting bar and so far my little ladies have not experienced any severe frostbite. I will be looking for a second one as back up incase this one bites the dust, but I recommend this product.

I use multiple cozy coop panel heaters as well.200 watts a piece.zero clearance for fire.Meaning it can touch bedding and not get too hot to burn anyway.165 degrees on high.
Better in small insulated coops,or they can stand in front of it.They feel the heat ,know when it's on.
Smoke alarm should be in coop anyway.They also dry air very well.Inexpensive,about $38.
When it's in the forts mine are on.Will heat my coop to 50 degrees when zero outside( no wing) at 15 degrees with wind.Roof walls insulated.
No,I have very low humidity.Not lots of hens,cleaned completely out every morning.clean when they go to bed. If heat is on it dries air very quickly as well.No,my chickens don't get sick either.yes,power has gone out,they are fine.
Warm hens are happy hens.They lay more eggs in winter too.I never use lights.

So I live in upstate NY and we get cold nights in the winter. Like below 0. So I always heat the coop on cold nights. Even then our bantam roster with huge wattles and a comb gets purple on top. I put Vaseline on sometimes to protect him. He hates it. Anyway.... I’m insulting it his fall but I still need to heat it. I’ve been using heat lamps but they go often and are a pain. I’m terrified of the coop catching fire btw. Any advice on wattages? Because I have not clue on that or what I’ve been buying. Or any other heating ways that are SAFE and effective! Thanks in advance! 😊
I go over a number of heating choices in the article

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

Stop heating your coop. Do you have good ventilation. Chickens temp runs at 106F, They roost and cover up their feet. They grow a down coat. Just like some dogs they have two coats, their down one and their feathers. They snuggle together when it gets colder. If you start heating their coop as soon as it get cold ( to YOU) they won't grow their down coat. Chickens don't sweat, so they can't get rid of the excess heat your are providing. With heat and inadequate venting humidity builds up and the combs and birds get cold/wet

and hence frostbite. Keep your chickens DRY and they will be fine. Wash your hands but dry only one. Go outside when it's really cold and see how that wet hand feels.

If you have started heating already you might have to continue for this winter. But 0 F is nothing to chickens. What do you suppose the blue jays, the crows, the robins do in the winter. Not to mention the chick-a-dees we have here in Maine in the winter.

I kept 4 birds in an uninsulated coop without heat in the winter of '18-19 with temps -20- -30 and they were fine. Actually laid an egg every day that winter. Without a light even.
I’m going to keep heating. I’m worried that the rooster would get frostbite. Even with the coop heated he struggles. I also have a 10 year old hen that I don’t want wasting energy to try to keep warm. Thanks for your thoughts though.

Back
Top Bottom