Was gonna say, sounds like Texas weather, until I saw that your from Midland, Texas. Here around in the Texas Hill Country, starting about 35 miles northwest of San Antonio, we may see it that cold from time to time. However, even though I have a draft free enclosed coop, I'll still run two heat lamps in it, when I know the temps are going to get 32 degree's or lower, but that's just me. :)
We didnt provide heat and they did just fine.

Thank you for your concern, I didn't want to get into all the details since the OP was trying to decide heat lamp or no heat lamp not necessarily a setup. I have two extra large hooks leading to the enclosed outlet on the ceiling, it irritates me to just have a cord hanging so the cord is ziptied to each hook as extra support.
My run is enclosed and has a roof, the run is even winterized, so they are dry. I don't use the heat lamp all day and all night long or all winter long. It is just for those weeks that we have -30F or below for weeks on end. Even then it isn't all day or all night.
But thank you for your concern.
Heat lamps are for fried chicken. I want eggs.

I keep an electric heater going in my coop(cuts off if moved or falls over). It has a thermostat. I live in North Carolina where it may be 40 this morning and 80 by lunch time(I have a ceiling fan and window fan for the heat). I will probably use this all winter long. Am I wrong in doing this.
yes

Was gonna say, sounds like Texas weather, until I saw that your from Midland, Texas. Here around in the Texas Hill Country, starting about 35 miles northwest of San Antonio, we may see it that cold from time to time. However, even though I have a draft free enclosed coop, I'll still run two heat lamps in it, when I know the temps are going to get 32 degree's or lower, but that's just me. :)
Do you have wild birds there in Texas. Do they come into your coop when you heat it for your birds. just curious

Wild birds are always attracted to heat.Parking lots in winter are loaded with little birds hopping under cars on warm pipes to keep warm.Many wild birds die in the winter,some can take the hardship,others can't.
I use many cozy coop heaters to keep temps comfortable,only positive things happen,mainly they are comfortable when in the coop.They have air conditioning in summer,because no shade for ,coop anyway..
Yes power has gone out,several times for hours,nothing bad happened.They play outside,no they don't get sick.All myths.
They lay more eggs though,that's a fact.

Back
Top Bottom