Heating Elements

Swamp Roo

Songster
11 Years
Apr 22, 2008
SW FL
I'm not building anytime soon I expect, but I was wondering if anyone has used water heater elements in an incubator? Seems to me if you are using a forced air incubator, it should work fine. Maybe put a baffle over it? Beats having to mail order. Darn, now I might just have to build one just to find out... I guess I could use a hatcher.

Thanks

Swamp

or... since you don't want to order one you can get one of those desk heaters, most are on clearence now 12, and take it apart most are 900watts

Oh, I know the GQF element works very well and is certainly reasonable in price. I just like to touch and feel things when I buy, that and i can just run out and get one. I wasn't planning on using one of the big elements, I was thinking more along the lines of a small one like they they put in the 4 gal units. I have no idea what wattage those elements are. Just playing with ideas.

Swap

You want low wattage, as mentioned. Big honking heaters have too much hysteresis (inertia) and will be nearly impossible to control in a space the size of an incubator.

Purchasing the 40 W heaters from GQF or simply using light bulbs will be money better spent.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can tell you what to expect from a water heater element..

the directions on an electric water heater tell you to not turn it on until the tank is completely full of water.. well, me being the impatient one that I am, figured the tank was full enough,, I hit the breaker and BANG like a deer rifle.

those elements are not meant to be used dry..

Quote:
"in a few seconds " in my case..
roll.png
lau.gif

Yeah I could see the temp continuing to rise after shut off with the mass involved in a hefty element.

Had not considered the concept that those element would burn out if I ran them dry. That is a show stopper right there.

Hair dryer would probably work great, the noise would drive me crazier than I already am though.

I'll probably go with the GQF, or a light bulb. Then again I found one of my old aquarium heaters today. Built in thermostat and everything. Probably to much lag though. I'd have to crank the thermostat and run it through the normal type temp controls or the temp swings would be way to large. I'll play with it eventually.

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom