heating in the coop

2-lil-swedes

Songster
8 Years
Jun 23, 2015
Hi!

I have 4 hens in the city that sleep in a prefab coop thats not too large. Does anyone recommend those 40 watt heating pads? Its finally getting cold out, pushing the high teens tonight. I also see the ceramic "no light" 100 watt bulbs but Im concerned the coop interior is just not large enough for it.
thanks!

Hi!

I have 4 hens in the city that sleep in a prefab coop thats not too large. Does anyone recommend those 40 watt heating pads? Its finally getting cold out, pushing the high teens tonight. I also see the ceramic "no light" 100 watt bulbs but Im concerned the coop interior is just not large enough for it.
thanks!
I believe you'll get feedback that heat isn't needed.
Avoid drafts directly on the chickens, good ventilation up high, and add some extra bedding.
The can help keep each other warm.

One concern is that if there is a power outage, the drop in temps could cause problems, illness, etc. It's better when they acclimate slowly over Fall into Winter.

(Those ceramic bulbs get really, really hot, so avoid them. I would worry about potential fire. A 40w heating pad would be a lot safer, if you decide to use heat anyway.
wink.png
)

Good advise, thanks! Ill have to sew them a little curtain as the coop entrance is open to the ramp, I can only assume letting in drafts. There is a sliding hatch but I don't want to lock them in there. I, unlike my hens, am not an early bird! .
yesss.gif

Good advise, thanks! Ill have to sew them a little curtain as the coop entrance is open to the ramp, I can only assume letting in drafts. There is a sliding hatch but I don't want to lock them in there. I, unlike my hens, am not an early bird! .
yesss.gif
If they are safe from predators, then certainly allow them access. Plus they are going to want to eat and drink as soon as they wake up and it's light enough!

You do want to keep drafts off.

If you have the $, an automatic chicken door would solve the 'open'/'close' issue. That's what I did.

Or could you build a little foyer box? Set up a little platform outside the existing door, then box it in, and have the exit to one side or the other. That way wind/breezes won't blow directly in.
Or, you could do the same thing inside the coop; a sort of entry way box, but with the inside door to one side.

I have the latter, with vinyl strips (you can get these at the fabric store) over the inside opening.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom