Heating plate in brooder too hot???

cp2894_

Songster
May 17, 2022
Indiana
Hi! I got 5 chicks for the first time from TSC about 4 days ago. The chicks seem to be doing perfectly fine and healthy but I'm a little concerned about their heating plate (also bought from TSC). There's 2 settings. Heater and Brooder. I have it on brooder but I can only put my hand on it for a couple seconds before it starts hurting my hand. I don't want the chicks to be burned by it. The garage the brooder is setup in is pretty warm. Definitely over 75 degrees (I don't know exactly how warm) but they've still been spending time under the heater so I don't want to turn it off if they need it. The chicks seem to be different ages and heights. 3 of them seem to be only a couple days old and the other two about a week or so. I have it setup so that it's at an angle where part of it is higher than the other side so that the bigger girls can stay warm without getting too hot. Any advice on if the plate being so hot is normal?

fyi, they have fresh water and don't seem to be panting or anything but I'm just worried their little backs will be burned :(

Do yourself a favor and get a temperature gun. Harbor freight or tractor supply probably has them. Just so you can take quick temps in different areas of your brooder. I personally prefer to use a lamp so that I can make a hot spot and a gradual drop in temp the further you get away. So that the chicks put themselves where they are comfortable.
I haven’t used a heat plate personally but I have heard of successful uses and I’ve heard complaints just like yours. I would get a cheap light. And if the garage is 75ish and not drafty, then you probably don’t even need the big 250 watt bulbs either.

So, I haven't used a heat plate yet, but I understand that you will want your chicks to be able to get underneath it and not necessarily touch it with their backs. If the high setting seems too hot, maybe try a low setting but with an old shirt draped over it to create a little warm place to hide?

As for determining chick temperature without a thermometer the rule I follow is by chick behavior:
-All clustered under the heatsource - too cold
-All just kinda doing general chick stuff like eating and drinking while some are at the heatsource - just right
-As far as possible from the heatsource, panting, wings out - too hot

Do yourself a favor and get a temperature gun. Harbor freight or tractor supply probably has them. Just so you can take quick temps in different areas of your brooder. I personally prefer to use a lamp so that I can make a hot spot and a gradual drop in temp the further you get away. So that the chicks put themselves where they are comfortable.
I haven’t used a heat plate personally but I have heard of successful uses and I’ve heard complaints just like yours. I would get a cheap light. And if the garage is 75ish and not drafty, then you probably don’t even need the big 250 watt bulbs either.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into getting a thermometer. It seems like they enjoy having something to hide under (especially the skittish ones) so if possible I'm hoping I won't have to buy a lamp but that's good to know that if I do need to buy one, I wouldn't have to buy one of the big ones.

So, I haven't used a heat plate yet, but I understand that you will want your chicks to be able to get underneath it and not necessarily touch it with their backs. If the high setting seems too hot, maybe try a low setting but with an old shirt draped over it to create a little warm place to hide?

As for determining chick temperature without a thermometer the rule I follow is by chick behavior:
-All clustered under the heatsource - too cold
-All just kinda doing general chick stuff like eating and drinking while some are at the heatsource - just right
-As far as possible from the heatsource, panting, wings out - too hot
Thank you! That's good to know about how to determine temperature without a thermometer until I can get one. Unfortunately it's already on the lowest setting and still very hot but I'll keep an eye on them to make sure they don't seem distressed.

I have the brooder/heater from TSC and have used it for 2 sets of chicks this spring. Both have done really well with it and self regulate their temperate. I keep it on the brooder setting and for the smallest chicks put the legs in the second tallest position with pine shavings underneath it. As soon as they get tall enough to touch that, I raise up to the highest position. They tend to crouch down under it so they never touch it. By the time they are around 3-4 weeks old, they spend most of the time on top of it where it is just slightly warm and I remove it at 4 weeks because their brooder box is in a well insulated garage. I feel like it’s safer than a heat lamp, easy to use, and chicks like the privacy it provides. It’s functions kind of like the heating pad cave others have described on here.
106EA13C-9C34-4C37-8D1E-E269A42CB42B.jpeg

I agree with what BattlePants said, the chicks behavior will tell you everything. If they don’t huddle up under it, but they aren’t panting, then they are probably comfortable. But definitely take their height into consideration, and their growth. So maybe see what you can do with it as far as angle or height. Maybe angle it so there’s a gradual temperature drop and see where they go. If it can burn your hand on the top, make sure they can’t get there.

I think i’m currently using the same plate as you and felt the same way but I put it in and my chicks never had any issue. They will be 4 weeks old this weekend and nobodies been burnt.
That's great to know! it's been very nerve wracking trying to make sure they're all comfortable, healthy, and that I'm using all the right supplies lol. They luckily don't seem to be bothered by the heat so far. Hopefully it'll stay that way over the next couple weeks :)

Back
Top Bottom