Heating plate in brooder too hot???

I have the brooder/heater from TSC and have used it for 2 sets of chicks this spring. Both have done really well with it and self regulate their temperate. I keep it on the brooder setting and for the smallest chicks put the legs in the second tallest position with pine shavings underneath it. As soon as they get tall enough to touch that, I raise up to the highest position. They tend to crouch down under it so they never touch it. By the time they are around 3-4 weeks old, they spend most of the time on top of it where it is just slightly warm and I remove it at 4 weeks because their brooder box is in a well insulated garage. I feel like it’s safer than a heat lamp, easy to use, and chicks like the privacy it provides. It’s functions kind of like the heating pad cave others have described on here. View attachment 3112475
Thank you for sharing! Right now I have the entrance to it on the highest level and the back of it on the second to highest. The two bigger ones tend to hang around the entrance while the little ones gravitate towards the back. I'm hoping that way none of them will have their backs constantly touching the hot part but can also stay warm.

I agree with what BattlePants said, the chicks behavior will tell you everything. If they don’t huddle up under it, but they aren’t panting, then they are probably comfortable. But definitely take their height into consideration, and their growth. So maybe see what you can do with it as far as angle or height. Maybe angle it so there’s a gradual temperature drop and see where they go. If it can burn your hand on the top, make sure they can’t get there.
Right now it's at an angle where hopefully none of them have it constantly touching their backs but can also stay warm. I'll definitely be sure to watch their behavior.

Thanks! They've so far been very entertaining and a joy to take care of😊
Every stage is a new adventure for sure. My first batch is 7-8 weeks old now and starting to look all grown up. There is always much to learn and enjoy along the way.

Attachments

• 8C84950B-D85A-4BBE-B030-F2F32008F003.jpeg
    8C84950B-D85A-4BBE-B030-F2F32008F003.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 3
I have 3 different heat plates, and if I rest my hand on them longer than a few seconds, I have to let go! As long as they have room to crouch and touch it when standing, it should be a good height. I always check due on top of heads for a few days, but I’ve never noticed anything weird from any of mine! Good luck w your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom