Heating Questions For Finches.

TheSnakeShack

Hatching
Dec 14, 2023
Hello everyone, I have been researching finches and live in Oregon (USA) where temps can drop to -30C, and was worried that any finches i try to keep outside will freeze. if anyone has any ideas or info please let me know.

If you are talking about domesticated cage finches like Zebra, Star, Strawberry or Gouldian, there is no way they can handle those temps.
Native wild finches are fine with it but those are illegal to keep as pets.
To the best of my knowledge any of the former species I mentioned are from tropical regions and need to be kept about 70F plus. 20C or greater. I didn't know anywhere in Oregon except at high altitude ever got to -30C.
It doesn't get that cold in Indonesia or other tropical regions of Asia and Oceania.
Do you have an outbuilding you can heat?

Last edited:
If you are talking about domestic finches like Zebra, Star, Strawberry or Gouldian, there is no way they can handle those temps.
Native finches are fine with it but those are illegal to keep as pets.
To the best of my knowledge any of the former species I mentioned are from tropical regions and need to be kept about 70F plus. 20C or greater. I didn't know anywhere in Oregon except at high altitude ever got to -30C.
It doesn't get that cold in Indonesia or other tropical regions of Asia and Oceania.
thank you for this info. -30C (-25F) is kind of an exaggeration but it will reach those temps on our colder years, either way we still get cold temps.
Do you think there anyway i could heat the nesting area somehow?
I also took some measurements and could put a medium sized aviary/birdcage cross thingamajig inside the house. just another option.

Inside the house is your best bet.
Anything is possible so yes it would be possible to heat the outdoor space but the cost would surely be prohibitive unless you are Bill Gates.

What I am going to do is place heating in the nest boxes with chicken plate heaters. Have ventilation like a chicken coop but have the boxes be insolated. Im building them big enough that the birds can be split up inside them and live comportablly on the coldest days. I am also placing a clear tarp on the outside of the aviary to keep the wind out but let light in

Back
Top Bottom