Heating Questions for Week Old Chicks

Clayton30

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2022
Orange County, NY
Hi everyone, I'm new to raising chickens and just recently got 10 chicks. They are now one week old. For the first week I have been running a heating plate as well as a heat lamp in a large tub. The heat lamp was suspended well over the tub to make sure that the entire brooder was a warm temperature. It wasn't until last night that it seemed like some of the chicks were too hot (spread wings when laying, seemed to be breathing a little fast) so I decided to remove the heat lamp from the brooder entirely. Still running heat plate. Temperature outside of heat plate stayed around 75 degrees throughout the night and all chicks were huddled under heat plate sleeping early this morning.

I'm wondering, is 70-80 degrees away from the heat plate an appropriate temperature for week old chicks? Or should I turn the heat lamp back on and just raise it considerably? Thanks in advance!

Welcome To BYC

I'd leave the heat plate in the brooder, they don't need any other heat source. Make sure the plate is high enough that they can walk under.

You do need plenty of room for the chicks to move about and away from the heat. 70-80F is plenty plenty warm on the cool side. I've had chicks outside with just a heat pad and the cool side was 20F and they were fine.
Chicks need just that 1 warm spot, let everything else be cool.

Photos of your new babies and their brooder are always welcome.

Welcome To BYC

I'd leave the heat plate in the brooder, they don't need any other heat source. Make sure the plate is high enough that they can walk under.

You do need plenty of room for the chicks to move about and away from the heat. 70-80F is plenty plenty warm on the cool side. I've had chicks outside with just a heat pad and the cool side was 20F and they were fine.
Chicks need just that 1 warm spot, let everything else be cool.

Photos of your new babies and their brooder are always welcome.
Thanks so much. They seem to love the heat plate, that's definitely staying. Photos will be coming soon!

x2, just use the plate. Chicks do better with the option of having a noticeably cooler area to use as well as a warmer area to rest in, which is what the plate provides.
Thanks so much. I used the heat lamp mainly because the first few days I had them it was abnormally cold at night. I took it away two days ago now and they seem to be doing great. They’re growing so fast!

I had chicks out under a heat plate at 50F this spring and used dual heat with the heat lamp when the temperatures dropped under 40F since some plates carry a warning that they aren't good enough below that (mine doesn't, but I was being cautious).

The chicks go in and out and choose their own comfort level. :)

Here’s some pictures of the little ladies. 5 white leghorn 5 brown leghorn. They are hilarious. Seems like I could sit there all day and watch them. Seem very happy and healthy so far! Thanks everyone for the feedback. @Wyorp Rock

Attachments

• BD06D3D3-D809-43C6-BA12-4CA35842C25C.jpeg
    BD06D3D3-D809-43C6-BA12-4CA35842C25C.jpeg
    671.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 8D3C4BFE-C500-4CAC-ABD4-2DE4FD872DE7.jpeg
    8D3C4BFE-C500-4CAC-ABD4-2DE4FD872DE7.jpeg
    822.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 2C43350C-185C-4A8D-AF16-69D424D2C7C2.jpeg
    2C43350C-185C-4A8D-AF16-69D424D2C7C2.jpeg
    863.7 KB · Views: 48
  • B38C3980-940B-4AEC-AE12-46D16EEAF80D.jpeg
    B38C3980-940B-4AEC-AE12-46D16EEAF80D.jpeg
    779.7 KB · Views: 50
Here’s some pictures of the little ladies. 5 white leghorn 5 brown leghorn. They are hilarious. Seems like I could sit there all day and watch them. Seem very happy and healthy so far! Thanks everyone for the feedback. @Wyorp Rock
Good looking chicks!

Chicks are a lot of fun, I'm glad you're enjoying them. I hope all continues to go well for you and them:)

Back
Top Bottom