heating rope for bators - UPDATE: Back to lightbulb :(

Looks like an inline type. If so, it should just wire up like a water heater thermostat. There should be two screw terminals where your incoming black/hot wire goes on one, and then the outoing black/hot wire goes on the other and then goes to your heating element/light socket.

The differential of 2 degrees is more sensitive than an waterheater thermostat. They can be anywhere from 5-20 degrees differential.

The water heater thermos I'm using in my bator have an air temp diff of around 8-10 degrees. Because it cycles on/off so quickly the temp in the WW only fluctuates about 2 degrees, but the air temp fluctuates between 96 and 104 or there abouts.

Last edited:
Great...I think I'm going to go ahead and order it. As it is, I'm getting up 3 times a night to check the bator temp. Even though it is in my home office, away from the window, a/c on 77 in the house at all times and the overhead fan in the room on at all times...I guess the ambient air temp is fluctuating enough for the bator temp to go up too high...102-103...so I have to check it every 2 hours during the night.

This hatch will be over by next week...but I have 40 more eggs on the way! I'm too old to do this night after night!

Some of you continue to amaze me!!
smile.png
How in the heck do you know how to do all this wiring stuff!!? I wouldn't know how or where to begin!! Give me some wood and nails and I'll get it figured out, but electrical .....forget it!

Last edited:
Just a couple of thoughts. I personally prefer the heating elements over light bulbs. Just wire in an indicator light that tells you when the element is on. You can get them at GQF for about 2.50 or at radio shack for the same price. Simple to wire in as it is the same as any light bulb. when wiring in a heating element it does not matter which end goes to which color of wire you are using. Just for normal electrical code all of the switches, thermostats and such are in the black wire and the white common wire is uninterrupted.

The single most important part of an incubator is the thermostat. IMHO you would be better off ordering a wafer kit from GQF or anybody for that matter for around 17-20 dollars over the greenhouse thermostat. It will give you a lot better temp hold and range. I personnally use the digital thrmostats from GQF. They cost quiet a bit more but keep fluctuations of temps down to .5 degrees or less.

Just remember when wiring, it is just like running water. You have to give it a place to go in and to go out.

Back
Top Bottom