Heavily speckled/stippled chicken eggs

Wynette

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Sep 25, 2007
Michigan
I LOVE them! Are some breeds more likely to lay heavily speckled/stippled eggs? I'd really like to have a few in my laying flock some day, and wanted to throw the question out there - also, if you have pics of yours, I'd love to see them! I'm also wondering if this is a genetic issue...any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated, too!
big_smile.png

Whoops...having trouble getting this picture in. This is the heaviest amout of speckling I've had on an egg, and it's not much, but I think it's so pretty! This is a Welsummer egg:

firstWellieegg.jpg

Last edited:
I have a NHR red that lays heavily speckled eggs almost every day - the speckles are larger than those pictured here, more like spots.

My brahma girls lay a bunch of them. The really pretty ones have lavender colored dots on the light tan/pink shell.

Do you sell speckeled eggs like these? I've always been sooooo careful to wash it all off! We get them all the time from our buff orps...

I received this Welsummer egg in a shipment for my incubator; I hope it hatches with a girlie and she lays the same type egg!
fl.gif

24456_first_incubating_001.jpg

Some speckling isn't genetic. I'm not sure the cause but I've been getting purple speckled eggs from both the EE laying in the coop and the japanese bantams in the house. Completely different environment, different feed, not even the same table scraps most of the time. No idea what is causing it.

I did hatch a bunch of standards from dark brown speckled eggs
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v244/aqh88/chickens/incubator/3rd hatch/SANY1079.jpg
They are a mix of welsummer x penedesenca x maran. I'm impatiently waiting for them to start laying. They are 7months now and started to get really red combs a few weeks ago. The welsummers seem to have spotted eggs often.

Back
Top Bottom