Heavy breed question

keiferlou

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 5, 2014
NE Oklahoma
I know it's normal for a heavy breed to have huge poops but is it normal for it to be watery and super messy? My heavy hen is 7 months old and she's always had huge poops but since she started laying, it's become watery. It's the usual color, just watery. Other than being a weirdo and dipping her entire head in the water when she drinks, her diet and behavior are normal and unchanged. My other hens aren't like this, not that I've noticed anyway but then again, they don't leave behind a pile near as big. As far as diet, they're mostly free range with some scratch in the evenings, scraps (no sweets), meal worm treats, rinsed egg shells and oyster shell fed free choice. Is this normal?

Are you saying that you only feed some scratch in the evenings....no chick/layer feed at all?

The little ones haven't eaten just crumbles alone for a while now and to ensure they go to bed at night, that's when they get a big helping of scratch. They'll eat a bit, then go to roost. In the mornings before I let them out, they work on it some more. Whenever I go out to check on them or just watch them, I always throw them some more. I probably actually over feed them. Their coop is left open all day while they're out and about and I keep a full feeder in there so they can come and go and eat as they choose, whether it's bugs and grass outside or feed inside. Plus, they get scraps (no sweets), veggies, rinsed egg shells and oyster shell and meal worm treats. I was under the impression that being mostly free range, layer feed is not necessary?

Chicken feed has the necessary vitamins and minerals that chickens need. Scratch is like feeding humans only potato chips. Not very good. Scratch is just a treat.. not a food.

The little ones haven't eaten just crumbles alone for a while now and to ensure they go to bed at night, that's when they get a big helping of scratch. They'll eat a bit, then go to roost. In the mornings before I let them out, they work on it some more. Whenever I go out to check on them or just watch them, I always throw them some more. I probably actually over feed them. Their coop is left open all day while they're out and about and I keep a full feeder in there so they can come and go and eat as they choose, whether it's bugs and grass outside or feed inside. Plus, they get scraps (no sweets), veggies, rinsed egg shells and oyster shell and meal worm treats. I was under the impression that being mostly free range, layer feed is not necessary?
Layer feed IS necessary for good egg production and GOOD health of your flock... I feed Purina and get good solid eggs daily... I also feed Granite Grit, Roasted Egg Shells, and Oyster Shells... Bride roasts the egg shells at 275 to kill any chicken borne pathogens so we are not re-infecting the chickens.....

Back
Top Bottom