HEAVY RAIN = MITES...... TREATMENT ADVICE/COMMENTARY???

Pics
UPDATE from original post #45 - Got a call from the Dept of Health guy, as with the Dept of AG guy, not bird mite. Will be "investigating" possibilities but thinking it's more a "dirt" mite. Being that I scatter some feed crumbles & treats on the ground, being in an enclosed area the "build up" attracts these critters for a free meal.

I will continue collecting them under the dish then spraying with alcohol. It's been raining for the past 3 days, once it stop, will be spraying the dirt & shavings with alcohol again. Been finding teeny tiny ones on my boots, the Bug Guy said they multiply FAST!

Had planned on raking all the shavings, spraying the dirt & put in new shavings but with all the rain we're getting makes of a messy haul. Glad it's not bird mites nor bothering the girls, just bothering me.

UPDATE - No word from the Entomologist at the Dept of Health, IF he ever calls back, I will be SHOCKED! Have been doing some of my own "research", not knowing what I'm looking for, came across Spider Mites. There's a huge variety which are basically suppose to be on plants, so I maybe wrong but this picture is very similar to what my naked eye see. Read that Insecticidal Soap can be used on plants as well as Rubbing Alcohol & water (1:3, stronger the better but will kill plants).
Still finding a couple teeny tiny crawlers on my boots, hardly any in the corners of the dog dish. I'd like to respray the Chicken Enclosure & shavings with 91% Alcohol but it's been raining....Know alcohol evaporates fast but the other enclosure I have is not very weather proof. So I will continue with the dog dish eradication method, hopefully I can rid myself & chickens of these critters. Did not realize how many kinds of mites there are :barnie

Attachments

• 2017 Chickens - 08 Spider Mites.jpg
    2017 Chickens - 08 Spider Mites.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 7
I've had my chickens for over a year now, and I've yet to have any Mite or bug-related problems. Is it a regional thing or am I jynxing myself even mentioning this? :/

You've been lucky, this is the first issue for me since 2013! Alot has to do with coop maintenance & weather, it's been warm & humid then we got rains for several days.
You're in TX, hopefully safe & dry.

UPDATE - I got a call into the University Entomology Dept, I really would like to have these critters identified. I just learned there's a "Predatory" Mite which is a good mite to have they eat the nasty one including bird mites. They look similar to the Spider Mites (post 75) and sold online/Amazon. I could be sitting on a gold mine...ha ha Joking aside, heres a picture...

Attachments

• 2017 Chickens - 09 Predatory Mites.jpeg
    2017 Chickens - 09 Predatory Mites.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 7
Original Post #45 with update #71, 73-75
LATEST & LAST UPDATE - Since our Dept of Ag & Dept of Health could not help ID these critters, I went to the UH Ag Dept. I was shown a booklet that was at least 3 inches thick of diagrams (8x11) of different mites! He is having the same "issue" in his coop, his flooring is DLM straw. There are too many different kinds to specifically ID but thinking these maybe "cleaning up" the ground of decaying material, poo, discarded feed, maybe even other mites. He's thinking the weather (hot, humid & wet) has cause a population explosion. I've noticed cooler, cloudy days I find less under the dog dish. So I'll quit spraying the Enclosure, add more shavings, keep dusting the girls regularly and keep eradicating what ever accumulates under the dog dish. Glad to know I'm not the only one with these critters! Anyone else notice them?

Back
Top Bottom