Hector's World: Adventures and Mayhem at Mountain View Poultry (or Sequel to The Evolution of Atlas

Yes, he will always be The Little Tyrant to me. He did eat something today, but he's very weak, can't stand more than a couple of minutes. I like Ageless Hector. I'll remember him like this, out and about with his girls, standing tall.
DSCF0025b.jpg

Last edited:
He's rallied a tiny bit, went outside and stood in his pan of water. I think he has duck DNA, LOL. I told him he could just sit in it if he wanted. He ate some scratch this morning and awhile ago, some tomato when I held it up to him and pushed away his piggy hens. I know how this stage goes, though- up and down until it's all downhill and ends. He will complete the Triumverate of Heroes with Suede and Isaac. I need a marker for this guy. Suede has one that Ladyhawk made for him and Isaac has something so Hector deserves at least a very impressive stone on his resting place.

RIP, Hector. I knew it wouldn't be long because yesterday, he did not even leave his inside pen when I let his hens out and he seemed to be having trouble swallowing. Today, he was at the feeder and I gave him his favorite scratch. I had let his girls out, but kept them from free ranging, went back into the barn to do something. He was sitting in the doorway to his pen and I stepped over him, called him to the feeder so he could eat some scratch without the piggy girls and was across the aisle when I heard scraping and odd, distressed noises. He was flat out on the floor in his death throes. He died on his feet while eating what he loved best and I was able to speak a few words to him before he stopped breathing, but he was gone very fast.
Godspeed, my man. You will be greatly missed. As my friend, Mary, says, he is now ageless. It won't be the same without my big guy. He was 6 years and 3 months old. Atlas will be next, barring another bird passed unexpectedly. Atlas would be 9 in the spring, but I can't see him living even until winter, the way he looks now.

I was sadly waiting for the news since your last post. Goodbye you big hunk - such a happy, naughty, sweet thing ❤️
Perfect description of Hector...happy, naughty, sweet thing. He sure was. I remembered all the roosters I held in arms as I carried them to their final resting places. It's always me who does that for the roosters. I have such a special place in my heart for my boys because they're all good boys. I have been blessed to have such fine flock protectors. And thank you again, Mary, for my Hector.
I did get Maddie and Jane from him, though Jane left us far too soon, goofy Maddie will hopefully be here for a few more years. I'm going to let those four hens grieve a bit, then they'll likely get a little Cochin bantam boy (Mace) for their new man once his hormones kick in soon; he's 12 weeks old today so won't be long. He won't be too hard on them but can still watch the skies.

Last edited:
I just realized awhile ago that Hector missed the date of Isaac and Suede's passings by one day. Isaac died Sept 20, 2012 just a few months older than Hector was. Suede died Sept 20, 2015 at 5 yrs 8 mos old. So odd, isn't it? My three heroes in a triangle formation, guarding together now.

Back
Top Bottom