HedgeHogs..?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by StevenW., Nov 22, 2011.

1. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Anyone have any of these beautiful creatures?? [​IMG]
    My older brother has asked me to do some research for him on them and I thought I should ask here first then go to google.

I of course have fallen in love with them and wish I could get one, but I doubt it.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I loooooooooooove hedgehogs. Never owned one but when we lived in Germany they were everywhere. [​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Arent they high maintaince pets?

Yes they are cute little buggers but I don't think I can afford to feed them expensive hedgehog foods! Let alone vet bills!

4. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    I have one. She eats Pro Plan Kitten chow, and not very much of that. Just half of a handful every evening. Meal worms and crickets as treats. Fresh water every day. Nocturnal, so I don't see much activity out of her.

She's in a medium sized guinea pig cage and has a plastic guinea pig type house to sleep/hide in. (in the pic she's in a small travel cage).

Can't exactly pet her, have to pick her up carefully, [​IMG] but she is very gentle and feels neat when she crawls on you. If you starte her she "pops" and hisses and will make you jump. [​IMG]

Not high maintainence at all, not expensive to feed or house. I think I paid $150 for her.

This is Chinquapin...

[​IMG]

5. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    This is just a personal assessment, but hedgehogs are a pet I would never own. They are cute as buttons, but after you've had one latch on to your wrist, and not let go, they lose some of their charm. [​IMG] On a more serious note, though, if you do get one, choose a very careful breeder, and ask about wobbly hedgehog syndrome. This is a genetic disorder that causes a hedgie to lose their balance, and lose his ability to walk. A very sad disorder. Good luck!

6. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I have an albino one right now. Cute but really noisey at night! When i got him a couple weeks ago ChickenWisperer helped me alot! Still helping me actually so im sure if you send a PM you can get help to!

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I had one, her name was Tootie. They aren't the cuddliest of pets, she was sweet once you picked her up but would pick the poo out of you while you were picking her up. She never bit me tho'. I had her until she passed of old age. Not a pet I will do again. They are cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by