1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HEEEELLLLP!!! Bator not coming up to temp after removing egg turner !

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by organicfoltzfamilyfarm, Dec 26, 2009.

1. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I decided to remove the egg turned a few days early because I candled today and I could see that 2 are a little further along than the others. They all are moving normally just 2 of them seem to be about 2 to 3 days more mature. I also had to adjust the humidity. Now that the thermometers are on the wire mesh it is only reading @ 95 and before it was exactly @ 99.

Any suggestions?

I have a Little Giant Still Air BTW.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  2. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Bump!

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Aww no one can help me?! I want to go to bed.....LOL and I can't because I'm worrying about these darn eggs!

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Maybe put a thick, folded up blanket around the sides, or towels. You have to make sure you are not blocking the air holes for good air exchange, especially this late in the game. They use up a lot of oxygen getting positioned for hatch, hatching out, pestering the other chicks after they hatch, stuff like that. Good luck with your hatch. It will not go good if you can't get the temp up. Maybe move the knob/handle this way and that. Maybe the thermostat is stuck and you could bump it loose long enough to finish this hatch and order a new one before you start your next batch of eggs. Good luck, keep us posted. Also, you could put a heating pad under it, and set a thickly folded towel between it and the bator.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    off to find the heating pad for my hovabator. It's running about .8 degrees below what it should.

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A still air bator should be running at about 101 F at the top of the eggs for the entire incubation period. I would say if you're running 95-99, you may have some problems with your hatch. Hopefully they'll just be late.

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind removing the egg turner early. The turner has nothing to do with development. That is due to location in the bator. The ones a little further along are likely in a hot spot or may be the only ones truly growing and the others could be quitters. I think some recommend alternating location within the bator to ensure all the eggs get similar exposure to warm/cool spots.

7. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Michigan
    The LG turner puts out enough heat with it motor to increase your temp by up to five degress +/-.

It's tough to adjust and wait when you have eggs about to hatch. In the future find your hatching temp and mark it on the bator knob. Then install the turner, let it run a day and then adjust for the proper temp, again mark the spot.

As for right now, you will have to adjust and wait. Try not to open the bator unless you get a spike. 102 would be ok, but if you go 103.5 or higher slightly crach the lid, let some cool air in and back off your therm. just a minute click.

I hope you have some spare time over the next few days.

Side note: you can brong the temp up quickly with a few small baby food size jars filled with hot water placed inside the bator. Moniter yout temp closely. It's not a great idea to keep opening the lid, but it's better IMO than lossing your hatch.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike

8. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    My LG does the same. I have to adjust the temp on day 18 because my LG egg turner puts off a lot of heat.
    Best of luck!

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I suggest turning up the thermostat. Like BantyRooster says, the turner motor puts out heat & you removed it,so up the temp by turning up the heat.

10. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Well I got it all squared away last night before I went to bed. I was exhausted! Well I've read on different sites that it should be on 99.5 for still air or 101. So I just set it to 100.

They are all still alive because when I candled them last night they were all moving on their own. Not a lot of movement but you can see the feathers and limbs.

Thanks guys! I'm glad to hear that the temp wasn't touched by my 2 year old. I was beginning to suspect that. Today is the last day to hand turn them. 2 of them look like they are going to hatch early because the air sac is a lot lower than the others. They only thing that I can think of is that the momma was broody or something. These are not eggs from my hens they are from the pervious owner of my Buff Orp. roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by