Height and length of chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 2mnypets, Oct 26, 2007.

1. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    My daughter has a project for 4H and we were trying to find a website that lists the different lengths and heights of different chicken breeds. We have Henderson's saved, but that site only gives weights. If anyone has or knows of any websites, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I don't show chickens, but don't breed standards list weight, rather than dimensions? If so, I think it'll be difficult to find that information.

3. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    I knew it was going to be difficult. It's not for the showing right now, but rather a project that she is working on. Leave it to my daughter to find something nearly impossible to do.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

How would you measure the height of a chicken? I would guess perky standing to mid back? Their necks and how tall they want to stand can for berries double their height. [​IMG]

5. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    its funny this was posted today because I was wondering how tall silkies were compared to bantam cochins [​IMG] anyone know?

6. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    About the same, actually, although I think Cochins weigh a little more. I have both, and other than the feathering, I don't think there's much a difference in the roos. My Silkie hen is smaller than my Cochin hen, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by