Height of Coop Question

ForsytheChickns

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2017
Dutchess County NY
Good evening all. I am building a coop out of scrap that has a base of 5'6" long and 4' Wide. This space does not include the nesting boxes area which will be off the side or a bottom cutout for a ramp. I'm building a simple house roof shape (triangle) and the coop is for 6 Easter eggers. Does anyone have a suggestion for the height of my walls and roof peak? Also suggestions on heights and spacing for roosts are welcome. This is in NY btw. Thanks in advance!
~ Scott

Is this going to be a walk in coop or a raised coop? My raced coop is 8 feet long by 4 feet wide by 4 to 5 feet tall. The back wall is 5 feet tall and the front one is for and the roof slopes down. 4 feet gives my chickens enough headroom and also room to walk under the wrists. The roofs are about 2 feet high.

Welcome! Those dimensions will make a very crowded home for six birds! Build bigger! If you are using plywood, use the 8' length as a guide, so less cutting and waste. You will want to be able to stand upright in there, so build it tall enough, at least in the center. Lots of ventilation, and south facing window openings, all covered in hardware cloth. Roosts need to be higher than the nest boxes; mine are 3', 4', and 8' high. Some birds fly up there every night! Mary

I looked at that thread briefly, I bet the walls are 4 feet tall then the roof probably goes up to 5 feet or so. My walls are 4 feet high and the roosts are about 20 inches from the floor.
I think if you build it something like mine, and your chickens have a nice big run, you should easily be able to have six chickens. Here are some pictures to give you an idea, all the roosts are on the same level. And about 10 inches apart.

I have since put up dog kennel panels to make a larger run.

Back
Top Bottom