Height of perches

ThisoldNHhen

Chirping
Sep 8, 2020
New Hampshire
I have moved perches around a couple of times and can't seem to them just right. One of the chicken always struggles to get down, but always goes for the top roost. The problem I have is that the coop is narrow (8X4). Right now they are are about 4 and 5 feet off the ground with nesting boxes under on 4 foot side. I added a lower perch with poop board along the long side which is about 3 feet off of the ground but they seem to prefer the taller perches. The long one does impede the area that they can land in from the taller perches. Most of the time they get down with very little issues, except for the one, but other times they seem to struggle. So my question is...Is there and ideal height for perches. I have large chickens, Black Sex Link, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, and 2 EE. Also is 8 feet of total perch enough for 6 chickens.

I have moved perches around a couple of times and can't seem to them just right. One of the chicken always struggles to get down, but always goes for the top roost. The problem I have is that the coop is narrow (8X4). Right now they are are about 4 and 5 feet off the ground with nesting boxes under on 4 foot side. I added a lower perch with poop board along the long side which is about 3 feet off of the ground but they seem to prefer the taller perches. The long one does impede the area that they can land in from the taller perches. Most of the time they get down with very little issues, except for the one, but other times they seem to struggle. So my question is...Is there and ideal height for perches. I have large chickens, Black Sex Link, Rhode Island Red, Plymouth Rock, Wyandotte, and 2 EE. Also is 8 feet of total perch enough for 6 chickens.
Can you please post pictures of your set up? 4 and 5 feet off the ground perches in such a narrow configuration does not give much room to maneuver to get to the ground.
Also, are these LF breeds? Bantams wouldn't have a problem as well as most Mediterranean breeds.
How many birds use the coop?
You may be able to install a ramp to help with getting off the roosts.

Can you please post pictures of your set up? 4 and 5 feet off the ground perches in such a narrow configuration does not give much room to maneuver to get to the ground.
Also, are these LF breeds? Bantams wouldn't have a problem as well as most Mediterranean breeds.
How many birds use the coop?
You may be able to install a ramp to help with getting off the roosts.

Attachments

• removed 1.jpg
    removed 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 22
  • removed 2.jpg
    removed 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 23
I was also thinking of a ramp.
I have a ramp in my coop for the roosts. Some chickens use them to get half way down and then jump the rest of the way while others just jump from the roost.

So I lowered the upper roast, the one circled, removed the long roost, am insulating that corner now, was concerned about it being to close to wall when its cold. I'll upload pic once it is done.

Back
Top Bottom