Height of run to deter foxes

IRL

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Hi
I'm building a new 25x25 run for my flock. My plan is to have a 4 foot high wire fence with an apron, and then have aviary netting for a roof, held up with a high pole in the center to give a tent effect. The only predator I'm worried about is red fox. I'm sure a fox could get through aviary netting, but not if its 4 feet off the ground, right? Will this setup keep a fox out? The chickens will be locked up at night.
Thanks for the input!

Does that mean they would be able to climb the fence and bite through the netting?

Climb yes, as far as getting into or through the netting, I would say a determined coon or fox would go right through it. Most folks dont realize a fox isnt much larger then a large house cat and just as agile. The netting IMO would be ok until you could secure the top much better. If it were 6 ft tall you might be just fine if fox were your only worry. 4ft IMO would be too low.

Netting of that type will not stop them from getting in but they probably won't be able to get out again. You mentioned red fox, grey fox can actually climb trees very well and are at home nationwide. Better to plan on a wire top.

I bet he can jump the 4 ft and than go right through the netting if your going to do that consider a hot wire at the top of the 4 ft sides.

I cannot think of a predator that would not be able to crack that set-up. Think about it, you have probably stopped an aerial attack from a hawk or owl, but the mammals are going to be licking their lips.

I belong to a beagle club that has 4' fencing. Fox routinely scale or jump that with no problem whatsoever. Electric fencing spaced along the fence should serve as a deterrent.

I have welded wire on the top of my 6 foot run and I still worry about the foxes in my area.
I have a tarp stretched tight on top so I think I am ok so long as the tarp does not tear and expose the wire.
The welded wire I have is 2x4 openings, heavier gauge than what home depot sells. The foxes are slick and slim they can squeeze into some very small spaces.

They are also virtual digging machines. I skirted mine up to the shrubs that are 3-4 foot away from the fence and added pavers on top of that.

I do not think netting will even slow down a fox.

There has only been one attempt at my coop so far and it was a digging attempt.
No luck for that varmint. It left a hole about 6 feet from the actual run and 10 inches deep before it hit the tree roots.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom