Hello again! Fred from NH.

Fred10

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2017
Hey everybody,
I am new but not so new. I had an account with an old email I no longer use and forgot all of the log in info here. It is alright because I haven't been on in a while and maybe posted half a dozen times.

My info-
I am a military Vet in my 30's. Married with a 7mo boy. I work full time at an Aubuchon Hardware Store. I own a new to me home far enough from neighbors that a rooster shouldn't make any issues. As of today I increased my flock by 4 and am back up in double digits at 10 birds. One addition is a gorgeous NH Roo that I am very excited to have!
I have been ravaged by fisher cats, fox and raccoons and am hoping to get into a trapping course next year and start reducing issues with them. The day I saw a raccoon had ripped out staples and rolled up some wire is the day I gave up on thinking metal around a coop could stop them.
I have raised chickens for about 3.5 years. From day olds to started pullets.
I have harvested a few but really don't like the killing part.

Breeds-
RIR(severely diluted but they were my first so I didn't know better) Welsummer, Colombian Wyandotte, GLW, SLW, BLRW. Mostly from Mt. Healthy hatchery, the rest from local breeders.

Plans- Work part time and expand at home to be able to sell live chickens, eggs and veggies out front of my house and at a farmers market. This plan may take 1 year or may take 50! Either way I will get there!

Welcome back! It sounds like you have a really nice little flock :) predators can be a pain and I'm sorry that they've targeted you. Hopefully you can trap them and take care of them.

Thank you for serving! My husband is also a military vet (in his 30s too!)

Fred, thank you sincerely for your time in service. Really 1/2" hardware cloth securely affixed to frame(not with plastic ties) can keep out fox and raccoons. Fisher cats, I have no idea about.

Please check out the predator threads for advice and information and the coops section as well - to be sure you have all the safeguards. It's always good to have a covered run to keep out climbers, jumpers and raptors. If it is made of solid material it will also provide shade and some protection from the elements.

Sounds like your area is not safe for free ranging birds. You may also need electrified fencing around the perimeter of coop and enclosed run.

PS you would benefit from joining your state thread - and reaping advice from those who know the climate, predators etc. Just put your state name in the searchbox and it should come up for you.

Thank you for the info Drumstick! I have purchased some Premier1 electric fencing this year and so far with it haven't lost a single animal that stayed INSIDE of it. When they fly over that is where I have the real issues. I have debated clipping one wing short so that they can't fly as well yet still have a chance of getting away from a predator.
I do live at the base of a mountain with hundreds of acres of conservation so there are plenty of predators visiting regularly.

:welcome

Thanks for a great intro and thanks for joining us! Best of luck with all your plans

Back
Top Bottom