Hello all! Some of you have helped me already.

Eric1980

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Ohio
My name's Eric. Glad to be part of an impressive community surrounding an interest in all things "chicken", or poultry in general. I gave up on Facebook months ago and it's good to see a network emphasized on appreciating some of the "simple things" in life. Chickens(birds in general) are beautiful, sweet creatures that give so much back: fun, friendship, and well...FOOD!

BackyardChickens was a helpful resource that I stumbled upon when I decided to take on a family of chickens for both the eggs, as well as being visionary about the importance of "family", and the way chickens bring happiness. I thought of my kids, and how I want them outside to enjoy the outdoors, and appreciate what God has provided through these sweet creatures. My 2 year old son is absolutely in love with my flock. Anyways, I would search chicken breeds for their egg laying capability, demeanor, etc., and would always see BackyardChickens as a resourse. Also, I was able to use an idea plan for my chicken coop by searching through the sample "coops" section, and using one member's idea as a template(thank you "Lamarr's Family Coop"). BYC seemed like a good, friendly site to join.

About me: I'm 34 with a wife and two beautiful children - boys(2y and 5 months). I had co-owned chickens YEARS ago when I was a teen when my parents were given several. I remember having TOO MANY ROOSTERS, and learned from that...heh! I got online at efowl.com(honestly, I looked at several websites) and ordered me my feathered family: 5 Buff Orpingtons, 5 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 6 Black Australorps(one being my rooster). Shortly after receiving them as baby chicks, I added two guinea fowl keets to the flock: a Pearl(maybe French), and a Pied(girls). My guineas took right to the flock and are sure to sound the alarm if there be trouble. My rooster is a sweet one - looks out for the crew. They are all about 12 to 13 weeks old now. Eggs soon!

Obviously, a "New Member Introduction", but enough about me! Shout out, share your flocks(breeds, photos), and where you're from! Any others out there from Ohio?

God bless!

Eric

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!! Sounds like you got a great flock! We're down in Texas. We have Rocks, Orps, and Australorps too! And Red Stars. And we have guineas too. Great birds all of them!!

Here are some pics of our babies and the coops I've built. Post your pics too! Blessings!!

Very healthy looking flock, and your Barred Rocks have beautiful plumage! I've got to plug my cell into the laptop to upload some pictures, and I'll be doing that here soon. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to BYC, Eric. Glad you decided to join our flock. You have some great breeds. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds) and they are extremely hardy, excellent layers of large, brown eggs, and calm and gentle birds (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them; they've done the same with our Buff Orpingtons as well). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom