Hello all!

AuntJamie

Songster
Mar 4, 2017
Sort of Central Ohio
So I joined because I have limited knowledge on raising chickens and Google and the books I have are only getting me so far. We recently got some pullets and a few straight run for a roo or two. Things are going pretty well. Had a couple losses, one good save and a lot of cute chick drama along the way. I love how they walk across each other without caring very much at all who gets disturbed. Anyway, I'm Jamie, the favorite Aunt, and I'm now going to see if'n I can find the answer to my question.
1f601.png

welcome-byc.gif

Hi Jamie, it's nice to have you here! If you let us know what your question is, we might be able to answer it or at least point you in the right direction.

Thanks for joining us!

Greetings from Kansas, Jamie, and
welcome-byc.gif
! It's great to have you in our community! BYC is a great place to acquire the knowledge you need. I recommend the Learning Center as your first stop. It will answer many questions you have and many more you will have. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
And if you'd like to chat with fellow Buckeye poultry keepers, locate the OH thread in this link and say hello: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

Thanks for having me!
It's really a line of questioning beginning with can one rooster properly manage 20 hens? I'm not worried about fertilization, just protection. I have a 9.5x12' coop and worry about two fighting roosters during bad winter weather when they won't be coming out for days or longer at a time. I've read that sometimes roosters raised together won't fight but sometimes they do. Before I had a pair of roosters in smaller quarters that had no problems and they were not raised together, one barred rock the other rir. The flock was smaller, too. If this info helps the breeds of cockerels I have to work with now are black sex links and New Hampshire reds. Also hoping they won't attack my 4 year old, but after reading the post about the aggressive roo maybe I just need to train her how to walk and with a big stick! Haha

Last edited:
So I joined because I have limited knowledge on raising chickens and Google and the books I have are only getting me so far. We recently got some pullets and a few straight run for a roo or two. Things are going pretty well. Had a couple losses, one good save and a lot of cute chick drama along the way. I love how they walk across each other without caring very much at all who gets disturbed. Anyway, I'm Jamie, the favorite Aunt, and I'm now going to see if'n I can find the answer to my question.
1f601.png

Welcome to BYC!!!!!!!!!
You'll find SO MANY helpful people here!
That's great! Sorry for your losses.
Welcome to BYC, Jamie! May the Lord bless you in these upcoming chicken years to come.
smile.png

-Lily

Welcome AuntJamie to BYC 20 hens will certainly keep him busy - Roosters can't do much other than warn but there are some that attack anything. My Bantam cochin used to take out the pigeons quite regularly and all my cats were very wary of him.

Maybe try searching in the search bar, I am sure you will find some answers - there is always lots of info

About the best a rooster can do is sound the alarm if he sees predators, giving the girls a chance to run/hide. If any rooster stands and fights, he will be the first one killed, then there is no protection.

Welcome to Backyard chickens.

G’Day from down under AuntJamie
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thanks whoopwhoop for the search bar suggestion. Can't believe I missed that!
I would rather have a warning for the hens and a way to keep the cats away than nothing at all.
I have yet to find any info that would sway me towards having one over two roosters. I think coop space will be my deciding factor and I may not know until we get there as it may depend on my particular roosters. Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here.
And thanks guys for the welcomes.
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom