Hello All!

Hello fellow Texan! How easy was it to get PT testing done? Chicken math is getting me too and I’m considering branching out into breeding and selling. Is it a blood test from every chicken? How much did it cost?
Hope this helps. I signed up to train for testing for my own flock and others. Price is set by the tester and there’s a county map link thru this site as well.
I believe this is different from NPIP which is optional. Would appreciate thoughts/opinions on the reasons for doing this combined with what is actually government overreach.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/poultry/flock-owner-information/

Hope this helps. I signed up to train for testing for my own flock and others. Price is set by the tester and there’s a county map link thru this site as well.
I believe this is different from NPIP which is optional. Would appreciate thoughts/opinions on the reasons for doing this combined with what is actually government overreach.
https://tvmdl.tamu.edu/poultry/flock-owner-information/
It's great info, but the original post is from 2023. You might try putting this in the Texas thread.

It's great info, but the original post is from 2023. You might try putting this in the Texas thread.
I was answering the question from April 2024 specifically about PT testing. Some things change, like “selling from your farm” didn’t used to be required to test, but now it does for hatching and eating eggs as well as live birds.
It’s the NPIP part that’s optional and doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Why pay to be on a list optionally? 🤔

I was answering the question from April 2024 specifically about PT testing. Some things change, like “selling from your farm” didn’t used to be required to test, but now it does for hatching and eating eggs as well as live birds.
It’s the NPIP part that’s optional and doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Why pay to be on a list optionally? 🤔
I did not comb through your site, but here in WI, NPIP testing is only needed for commercial sellers and those shipping IN to our state. There is nobody who checks compliance of us backyard chicken owners, only the hatcheries/commercial ones.

We have an optional certification to NPIP, only if we want to, but testing is the same thing so that's what I did and went ahead with it. The tester only charged $10 but she drove 8 miles to get to us, so we paid her $20.

You said why pay to be on a list optionally...well, I just did it because I ship eggs and have eggs shipped here and figure someday someone's going to ask about it.

If all I did was hatch eggs and sell chicks in person, nothing is needed.

Texas and other states may have the "optional" list for that.

Back
Top Bottom