Hello and advice please!

HappyTails

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2015
Canada
Hello everyone! We have a small farm of rescued ducks, chickens, and potbelly pigs.

I've noticed that one of our Pekings has been picked on by the other ducks for the last couple of weeks. She's starting to look quite shaggy. I really don't have another word for it, except that she just looks beat up. Tonight when I brought the birds in, she had a horrific limp. In fact she could hardly stand at all. I have never picked up one of the older ducks, and she did not like it at all. I did manage to get her, and did a quick inspection and could not see anything wrong with her legs. I have separated her and put her in an old dog cage, with fresh straw food and water. Tomorrow I will get her out and try to soak her foot with some Epson salt so that I can get a better look. To tell the honest truth, I am not 100% sure how I am supposed to pick her up. She seems terrified and I have to chase her to try to get her, which is bad because her leg is obviously injured. She is also panting heavily, and I wondered if this is a sign of severe pain? To tell the honest truth, I am not 100% sure how I am supposed to pick her up. Just yesterday we had to treat one of our chickens for bumble thought, as she had three spots in her feet that needed to be cut. So I do know what bumble foot looks like. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The ducks were all rescues, and we've had them since April.

I don't know much about ducks at all, sorry. But, you can post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread., in detail. Or the "Duck thread."

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

I hope you were able to find the information you needed on the duck thread or emergencies thread.

Thank you! Sorry for the late reply. I am new to the site and don't know where that info is located, but I'm looking now!!

Thank you! It's big, but it is wonderful! It is so great to find so many other people who care about their birds!

Back
Top Bottom