Hello! and question about water heaters

wood_sorrel

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Hello, just wanted to introduce myself. I think I posted in the wrong forum, so I'm trying again. Just got 2 Barred Rock hens. They are doing wonderfully in the backyard. Freeranging in a rather large fenced in area. Got them about 2 weeks ago. Am getting 2 eggs a day- one from each.

Look fwd to reading posts and connecting with people on here!

This is my first time raising chickens. We're very excited!

Also looking for a hanging heated waterer for the winter. Would love any suggestions. I only saw one on the internet, but the reviews weren't so great. We really want something that can hang, so the girls will have CLEAN water.

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has!
smile.png

BTW, our girls love to eat wood sorrel- it's a "weed", and is very nutritious. Tried to post the pic here, but couldn't figure out how...

being in Canada I fight with freezing water for 6 months out of the year...

I wrap a heating pad that you would use on a person around the waterer... its low voltage and will just keep it above freezing... i secure it with bungee cords

I tried the heated dog dish but they kick shavings into it and poop in it...
sickbyc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Hi all! Thank you all for the very warm welcome! I will try wrapping a heating pad around the waterer- great idea!

So far all is going well in chickenland, but there have been a few snags I think you all can relate to with raising chickens in the urban backyard...

Last week, they flew over the fence. That was scary. Luckily they didn't make it very far, and we were able to get them back in. And thankfully they didn't wander into a neighbor's yard.

We have them in a large penned in area (chicken wire) behind our shed. It's impossible for any neighbors to see them unless they trespassed into the yard. The law is a bit fuzzy here. They need to be 100 feet from the neighboring homes. Well, they are about that, except for one neighbor. Can't help it- the houses are close here.

Yesterday, my neighbor asked what we were doing behind the shed. I said "composting". A white lie- lol!

Anyway, I hope she doesn't suspect. She's one of those picky ppl. Needs to have the perfect lawn and so forth... otherwise, she's friendly and nice, but she is very nosey!

We put bird netting over the fencing, so now the birds can't get out. Was going to clip their wings, but we were too scared.

Well, thanks for reading. So nice to have a place to write about all of this. Wish I didn't have to keep them secret from the neighbors...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom