Hello and Thank you from Ocoee Fl

raindust

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Hi, My name is Samantha. I have been reading here for a couple of years, and it was this forum that made me decide to build my chicken coop. I have never posted anything before tonight, but I don't really consider myself too new, I guess. Up until recently I had 5 cats, 3 goats, a few rescued squirrels, I don't even know how many chickens, (they multiply) and whatever other creatures happen to cross my path.

I have had to sell my goats (they were loved pets) to buy food. That was a hard day, but I sold them to a man with more money than should be legal, so I know they will be well cared for. I can't afford to do rescue work at the moment, so I released a few squirrels and gave the young ones to a vet tech. The kitties stick it out with me and don't hold it against me if I have to feed them scraps for a few nights until my next paycheck. It's all good, and I know we will get through this, I have no complaints. I am warm in my house, my kids have an acre to play on, my chickens are safe to free range, my cats are the coolest ever..... and I am lucky enough to be employed, I am one of the lucky ones.

However, things are really hard for us financially. Sometimes we don't know if we will have enough food to last the week until the next paycheck, sometimes I wonder how the bills will all get paid. But we haven't starved yet, and fortunately the electric company has been fairly patient. Our lives are blessed..... I am not complaining, but leading up to something wonderful.

I checked my mail today. Stack of bills as usual.. But inside that stack of uglies was a small and pretty envelope. It was thick, obviously a Christmas card.. and had no return address. I opened the card excitedly, I rarely get cards. (e-mails have pretty much cancelled out the paper card) How neat it was to get a real honest to God Christmas card!!!! Even cooler, there was a gift card inside with $20 on it to Publix shopping center. Who hoo! It had no signature, I do not know who it was from. It simply stated "I hope this makes your Christmas a little merrier" and was signed "Your friend in backyard chickens".

???? Wow! I got goosebumps and was filled with an emotion I have no words for. Cheer? Joy? Gratefulness? Love? I don't know what it was, but I can tell you that this person provided me with just enough to get my kitties some food, and also buy enough food to get us through 4 more days of complete meals. I have 3 kids, so this is a big blessing! No more ramen, and no more PB&J's for at least 4 more days. THANK YOU! We have BREAD we have MEAT. We only had two slices of bread and no meat at all until I opened this card. All the money I made last week went to Mortgage and next week will go to elect. and gas to get to work every day.

I don't know who you are, But if I met you here, and you happen to read this I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. I only wish I could thank you in person so that you know how truly grateful I really am. Your $20 bout 3 loaves of bread, on pound of ground beef, one bag of cat food and one giantic roast that was on sale. I had the butcher cut it into 12 thin sliced steak peices so we could make it stretch through the week for all of us. THANK YOU. That is one less thing I have to worry about and you did very much make my Christmas Merry.

Much love and thanks,

Samantha Marshall

Welcome to BYC!

Winn Dixie has Frozen Turkeys going on sale next Wednesday 59 cents a pound. I bet food lion and Publix will follow suit and that might get you through the holidays.

Times are tough! We too are squeaking by too but I am so very thankful for all the blessings. I did not send you the card but I am thankful to the angel who did!

The Census is hiring in January but you need to do the civil service testing now.

Take care!
Caroline
Jax FL

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom