Hello and Thank you. Looking for assistance placing 2 roosters to safe home

Hello, They are both very fiesty roosters and someone told me to put an ad in Craigslist stating mean Roosters. She said that's how her brother got rid of his. I won't do this as it brings the wrong people to the table. Wrong for what are now my roosters. So refuse that. But they will come after you at times. They were excellent protection for the hens when she free ranged them. Now they have no one to protect.
sad.png

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Hello, They are both very fiesty roosters and someone told me to put an ad in Craigslist stating mean Roosters. She said that's how her brother got rid of his. I won't do this as it brings the wrong people to the table. Wrong for what are now my roosters. So refuse that. But they will come after you at times. They were excellent protection for the hens when she free ranged them. Now they have no one to protect.:(

Unfortunately, it is near impossible to find pet homes even for good tempered roosters. You will see people searching for months just to find someone who wants a cockerel, even if it's the sweetest, most docile lap bird in the world.

Finding a pet home for an aggressive bird - even a banty - is impossible. No matter what the scenario, they eventually end up on somebody's dinner plate. That's just how it goes. If you advertise them with the stated knowledge they can be aggressive, all pet homes will pass them up. If you advertise them as friendly, and then manage to find a home for them, once the new owners discover their bad side they will either A. cull them for meat themselves, B. give them away for meat, or C. Advertise them as friendly and let the cycle go around another time.

Your best bet IS to advertise them as aggressive cockerels and let them go for meat. Even 9/10 FRIENDLY cockbirds end up as somebody's dinner - there's just no options for cockbirds who bite the hand that feeds. You have no reason to be concerned about cockfighting, either. The breeds uses for cockfighting are specialized and have been bred for thousands of years for "gameness" - a willingness to fight. A Silkie hasn't got even a hundredth of the tenacity of these fowl and no cockfighter would waste their time attempting to use them for the sport. Going for meat may perhaps cut their lives short, but a quick and humane death for food purposes is, unfortunately, the best they can hope for.

Last edited:
Hello there, and my warmest welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you decided to join the community and I do hope you will make yourself at home here! :frow

Back
Top Bottom