Hello and thanks for having me.

Dailyskye

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
Hi everyone! My name is Tami and I’m new to raising chickens. I had a hen hatch some chicks a couple of months ago (February 3rd). The hen is wild she abandoned 3 of the 5 so we took care of the 3 and put them in the run with our red. One of the two she had with her died and the second one she left and we put it in the run also. My worry is that she is so much smaller then the others. It seems like the only thing growing is wings and feathers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated because I’m not sure what to do.
D19EB9BF-31F0-4B69-B27F-71A614E08804.jpeg

Hello, Tami, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
The chick has the classic stance of a bird afflicted with coccidiosis. I would treat with a coccidistat like amprolium (active ingredient in Corid) regardless of what the poop looks like. Do it immediately as coccidiosis can kill chicks quickly.
I would directly drench the little one with 1/8 tsp once per day for 7 days in a row along with the normal dosage of 2 Tbsp Corid to 1 gallon water for 7 days then dropping the concentration to 1 Tbsp Corid for another 5-7 days, making sure that the Corid water is all they have to drink. It will not hurt the entire flock to have the Corid water.
When giving her the drench, just drip it along the edge of her beak and let it wick into her beak. She will drink it.
After the treatment is done, I would focus on getting extra nutrition into the runt. Offer her Poultry nutri-drench in wet mashes, scrambled eggs and put probiotics in the water as well. The entire flock would benefit from a probiotic boost of fermented feed.

Back
Top Bottom