Hello! And welcome to my madness.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickensAhoy, May 4, 2017.

1. ChickensAhoy

ChickensAhoy Out Of The Brooder

I'm going to go ahead and just use the template offered by BYC:

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

In 2010 and 2011, I volunteered a lot of time on a CSA farm where they pastured hens and broilers, so I helped a fair amount there. This year (2017) is the first time I've had chickens on my own though. I have/had 14 Cornish Crosses and 20 Red Rangers. I processed my first 6 Cornish last week, and will be doing the rest this weekend. The Rangers have a few more weeks to grow out. I am raising all the meat birds in a Salalatin-style tractor on pasture.

Just this morning, I agreed to take over a laying hen operation that was in place on the property before we moved here. There are 39 hens and 1 very demure rooster. This will be my first ever commercial endeavor, and I'm equally excited and terrified about the prospect. Those birds are 1.25 years old right now.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? (3) What breeds do you have?

Cornish Cross - 8
    Red Ranger - 14 (dog got into the pen)
    Buff Orpinton - 8 (week old)
    Black Australorp - 8 (week old)
    White Leghorn - 4 (7 weeks old)
    Mix of Barred Rocks & RIR - 36 (1 RIR is a Rooster)
    Silver Laced Wyandotte - 1
    Sicilian Buttercup - 2
    Blue Andalusian - 1

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google. Don't you find everything with Google these days? I've searched a few things lately, and BYC always comes up, so I finally decided to join.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, Cycling, Reading, some sewing

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Husband, 15 month old little one, expecting our second this winter. 2 cats, 1 dog, 1 horse. I'm a stay at home parent.

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello[​IMG]and Welcome to BYC!

Sounds like you have quite the operation going on! Please make yourself at home and I hope you enjoy being a part of BYC.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under ChickensAhoy [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

ChickensAhoy likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. It seems like you have your hands full, for sure. I'm sure you are aware, but your commercial layers are getting towards the end of their productive life, so plans for replacing them may be worth considering.

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. ChickensAhoy

ChickensAhoy Out Of The Brooder

Thank you, I do know. I've been tracking our egg production for just shy of a week now (since I officially took over) and it's clear that I have a few slackers. They will be the first to go. I have plans to replace about half the flock each year, so I'll have a few old gals hanging out this winter, but will likely cull them as well as needed.

CTKen likes this.
  7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

So glad you could join our community! Make yourself at home here and enjoy BYC! :)

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you :frowwill enjoy Backyard chickens as much as we do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by