Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

This is a pic of day old BB Reds. The male chicks is on the left and the female is on the right. The eye stripe and the dark back are the points to look for in sexing any of the "duck-wing" patterned OEGB's. I didn't know this for the longest time and I make it a point to pass it along any time I can.

And the males go through a couple mounts before showing final colors (although the black chest shows up early) I guess pullets go through a couple mounts for their coloration too come to think of it.

wow mine are totally different mostly black/dun with red heads and some times they are totally a really really dark red... that's what i get for crossing with a black based bird... i think they will pro be smilier to this there next generation... ill try to post some pic's soon...

This is a pic of day old BB Reds. The male chicks is on the left and the female is on the right. The eye stripe and the dark back are the points to look for in sexing any of the "duck-wing" patterned OEGB's. I didn't know this for the longest time and I make it a point to pass it along any time I can.

Thank you for the welcome. You are most kind to allow me to participate. I am a newbie and I am sure it is very apparent. Please forgive my stupid questions . I am trying to learn but I have a very thick head which resembles a pumpkin.

I went to a trade/swap(pretty much a big flea market full of junk that nobody wants, lol) on sunday, most of the chickens I saw were OEGB. I used to have a red pyle pair and had a silver duckwing pullet last year who was killed by her cage mates and I currently have a bb red hen. Seeing all the OEGB at the trade has made me want to get more. The main colors that were there were whites, opals(im guessing) and spangled, I did see a few red pyles and a crele pair. My main question would be, would you guys risk buying from places like that, and just make sure you know what to look for when looking for show quality OEGBs? What sorts of questions would you ask the sellers? If you wouldn't buy at a place like that, do you know of any breeders in southern Ohio or northern Kentucky? I would mainly be interested in the the spangled, opals, whites, crele and fawn silver duckwing.
Thanks! :D

I don't personally know any breeders in that part of the country, but OEGB's are so plentiful I would not get birds from a source like you're talking about. Go to a local show and did a breeder there. If you don't mind shipping I do know a breeder of excellent Spangled here in WA, just PM me for info but you should be able to find some local to you.

Don't be afraid to get birds shipped to you. Its a great way to get what you want. 99% of the time everything goes well.

Back
Top Bottom