Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

That's very true. Only reason to avoid shipping birds is the added cost (but to get what you want it's usually worth it). I personally am still on the fence about shipping eggs due to the USPS handling of them though.
rant.gif

Ive never had birds shipped to me before but I was planning on getting more serama that way so id be ok with it. What would your concerns be with buying from the trade? My only worry would be that they arent healthy or that they arent pure OEGB. Theres is the southern ohio poultry show on memorial weekend. Im sure ill find plenty for sale there.

Well you described it as a place where people "full of junk nobody wants", so I'd be worried about health and quality of birds. Just didn't sound to me like a place where quality chicken stock would be found, which is why I made the show/breeder recommendation.

Alot of it is junk in my opinion, but the trade is a huge deal for people in this area. I just didnt find anything worthy of buying becides the chickens so thats how id describe it. Some animals are in nasty cages with dirty water, but some look like they are well cared for so I figured it would be worth a try to talk to the sellers before saying I wouldnt buy from there at all.

In our area, you get good and bad. You just have to know what you're looking at and go from there. We have people selling hatchery stock and we have show people selling their extras.
All birds must be tested before they can be sold at the swaps around here so I don't worry alot about that, but you still have to be careful and quarenteen (sp?) anything you buy.

Good OEGB are very hard to find around my neck of the woods... the couple of breeders that have good stock that i have found are all 4 or more hours away from me... and a ton of the colors are just not available anywhere in AR that i can find... i looked for splash all last year and did not find any... could not find any to buy to get shipped in ether... so i ordered 15 from cackle hatchery... 9 males 6 females lol... so ill have some extras to sell when they get older and i can tell which one are the nicest ones... i am getting some SQ blacks shipped in this summer and will use them to improve both my Dun's and the Splash...

Hello folks,
I am looking to get into OEGB's this summer. I raise mille fleur Seramas and when it came time to jump into these OE, I wanted to try something just a hop away. I am looking for some blue mille fleur OEGB's. I have been told you can breed these and get both blue and black patterned mille fleur. I got an email from Ideal and they have them, but I was hoping to find some from a good breeder first.

I am in upper East TN and in earnest search at this point. If anyone has them or knows of a good reputable person, plz PM me. I have been reading the thread and seen some truly awesome birds here. I look forward to continuing my reading and learning on the thread. Thanks for any/all direction anyone might give.

Hi there, I have a question. I just bought this little guy and was wondering if anyone could tell me the sex? Also, the second pic, do you think that it's a OEGB? Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom