Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Here's a new pic 11 weeks:

I just started collecting OEGB last summer, here are a few of my current birds.

creole

silver duckwing. I know these need improvement, but not sure how, any ideas?

blue

wheaton

fawn

white

didn't want to put all the pics up and take up so much space. I also have brassy blue, lemon blue (sport hen), quail, b.b. red. fawn red, black, and brassy back. I have a pair of spangles also, good type but color needs work.

I just started collecting OEGB last summer, here are a few of my current birds.

creole
silver duckwing. I know these need improvement, but not sure how, any ideas?
blue
wheaton
fawn
white

didn't want to put all the pics up and take up so much space. I also have brassy blue, lemon blue (sport hen), quail, b.b. red. fawn red, black, and brassy back. I have a pair of spangles also, good type but color needs work.

Wow! When you start collecting something you go all out. I am amazed that you have only had OEGBs for less then a year, and you have such a variety of nice stock. Beautiful birds by the way.

thank you, ive traded and bought and sold for a year to get them, always looking for better. i don't show them so im open to suggestions on making them better.

also If anyone wants to trade hatching eggs, I will. just let me know what breed your interested in and what you have. ill get more current pictures for you. not every pen is laying, just ask and ill let you know.

Last edited:
thank you, ive traded and bought and sold for a year to get them, always looking for better. i don't show them so im open to suggestions on making them better.

also If anyone wants to trade hatching eggs, I will. just let me know what breed your interested in and what you have. ill get more current pictures for you. not every pen is laying, just ask and ill let you know.
I might have to take you up on that offer, but it will be a while before I can trade eggs. Both of my hens are broody right now. One has three chicks and the other is setting eleven eggs due to hatch any day now. I only have a pair of blue wheatens plus a splash hen. If you are interested in those colors, I will let you know when they start laying again.

I might have to take you up on that offer, but it will be a while before I can trade eggs. Both of my hens are broody right now. One has three chicks and the other is setting eleven eggs due to hatch any day now. I only have a pair of blue wheatens plus a splash hen. If you are interested in those colors, I will let you know when they start laying again.
ok, putting ignorance on display. ive heard of blue wheatons but I haven't seen any in person. im assuming they are a cross between a wheaton bread b.b. red (commonly referred to as wheaton) and a dark blue?
I am interested in the coloration, but would like to know what anyone has to offer about how the color was made.

what would you be interested in?

ok, putting ignorance on display. ive heard of blue wheatons but I haven't seen any in person. im assuming they are a cross between a wheaton bread b.b. red (commonly referred to as wheaton) and a dark blue?
I am interested in the coloration, but would like to know what anyone has to offer about how the color was made.

This is my blue wheaton rooster. This is an older picture of him, he is much more feathered out now. As for how the color is made... I have no idea. Maybe someone else on here could answer that.

Out of all the pictures you posted on both threads, the Fawn rooster is the one I liked the best. So I would have to say I would be most interested in some of your Fawn eggs.

Hay guys/gals!
I just found out that I have a OEGB (lavender)
And I don't know anything about the breed! XD

Could someone please fill me in?
IE egg color, level of aggressiven
ess, are they good layers, cold tolerance?

Thanks! :D
-Midnight
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]-[/FONT]​

Hay guys/gals!
I just found out that I have a OEGB (lavender)
And I don't know anything about the breed! XD

Could someone please fill me in?
IE egg color, level of aggressiven
ess, are they good layers, cold tolerance?​

Thanks! :D
-Midnight​
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]-[/FONT]​
I can only give you my experience with the breed, others may have better advice.
their egg color for me is nearly white to light cream colored. fairly large for the size of the hens. they are fairly broody, but they lay good when they aren't sitting. cold tolerance varies between birds, a dubbed rooster will be more cold tolerant than one left undubbed. the smaller birds will chill quicker than the big ones.

my roosters are very aggressive toward each other, but not so much aggressive towards me. I keep all rosters and cockerels individually caged when they get of age. they are fairly good fliers.

hens are usually very docile, and sometimes chatty when you feed. ok yes I admit it I talk to my chickens.

overall disease resistance seems to be pretty good with my birds, but I can only speak for myself here; others may think differently.

most owners of these birds will have several colorations, and are always striving to improve the breed.

Wheaten and BBR are totally different colors... The males are similar but the females are very different colors... if you have the time u can create Blue Wheaten from a blue or splash and from Wheaten... but it will take at least 3 generations to get the hens color back right... it is much faster and easier to just buy a blue wheaten and use it with your wheatens...

Back
Top Bottom