Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

how many do you have??? allot of major breeders breed male and female lines... the males with white on his breast will breed females with not enough white on there necks to make better females... use your males with to much black over females with as much white as u can to get better in the next generation...
im having trouble finding a silver duckwing that I would call good. I either get black in the hackles or to much black in the wing... or white in breast and tail.

how many old English or how many silver duckwing? on silver duckwings I have 2 trios that I sorted from about 35 birds bought from show breeders. but non of them are what I would call great quality. overall this is what I have.

1 pair lemon blues, nice rooster sport hen-- looking for good breeding instructions.
1 pair brassy blues
2 pair b.b. red sq and 1 pair nice rooster over coarse hen (hoping to make good roosters)
1 trio fawn red
1 trio fawn silver duckwing
1 pair cuckoo/barred just medium quality
1 quad creole
2 quads red pyle - all are of excellent type, but need color work thinking of putting a b.b. red in the cross to improve.
1 pair very nice brassy backs
1 quad white -2 silver gene hens
1 trio black
1 trio self bule
1 trio dark blue
1 pair spangle just medium quality, excellent type color needs work.
1 quad quail

I might have another color that I missed?

not that u needed it but here is my 2cents lol...
how many old English or how many silver duckwing? on silver duckwings I have 2 trios that I sorted from about 35 birds bought from show breeders. but non of them are what I would call great quality. overall this is what I have.

1 pair lemon blues, nice rooster sport hen-- looking for good breeding instructions. this will give you 50% lemon Blue and 50% sport (splash) i cant seam to remember what the lemon blues are based on is it BBR or Brown Reds???

1 pair brassy blues U will get 50% blue 25% black and 25% splash...

2 pair b.b. red sq and 1 pair nice rooster over coarse hen (hoping to make good roosters)

1 trio fawn red i would mix this up breed Fawn Red to BBR this will get u 50% fawn and 50% normal colored BBR

1 trio fawn silver duckwing i would mix this up breed Fawn SDW to SDW this will get u 50% fawn and 50% normal colored SDW

1 pair cuckoo/barred just medium quality Breed a cuckoo rooster to black hens and keep only the barred hens to breed back to barred...

1 quad creole

2 quads red pyle - all are of excellent type, but need color work thinking of putting a b.b. red in the cross to improve. Sounds good

1 pair very nice brassy backs

1 quad white -2 silver gene hens

1 trio black

1 trio self blue

1 trio dark blue U will get 50% blue 25% black and 25% splash... If u breed to black u will get 50% black and 50% blue.

1 pair spangle just medium quality, excellent type color needs work. Just hatch and Cull hard u will get about 1 out of 50 SQ birds even with good stock...

1 quad quail

I might have another color that I missed?

not that u needed it but here is my 2cents lol...
i appreciate all the help i can get. as far as the lemon blues, i have no idea of how they were created, i would love to find out. a lot of the crossing you brought up, i had been thinking about. thinking about brassy back to blue, self blue to blue, and black to blue looking to find the best barring also to breed brassy blues. if i can get an excellent silver duckwing i want to do the silver duckwing b.b. red cross. also b.b. to fawn reds, and to blacks to try to improve a brown red line's diversity. b.b. red to white and red pyle for red pyle diversity. blue and self blue to quail and wheaten for obvious cross. now considering fawn red creole cross. i might have to pick up some more hens.

Lemon Blues result from crossing a Brown Red male with Self Blue females to produce blue & Lemon Blue females & Lemon Blue males. Cross a Self Blue male with Browm Red females to produce Lemon Blue males & females.

Lemon Blues result from crossing a Brown Red male with Self Blue females to produce blue & Lemon Blue females & Lemon Blue males. Cross a Self Blue male with Browm Red females to produce Lemon Blue males & females.

Wait, if you use Self Blue (lavender gene) how do you get it to express? I thought the recessive nature of that color would make it not show unless there were two copies? (Although this did make me grab my standard and I learned that the blue on both lemon blue and silver blue wasn't supposed to be laced as in normal blue. Thank you for making me realize that!)

Last edited:
so in my case, having sport hen with lemon blue, should I restart another "pullet line" by crossing my brown reds with my self blues?

I have a question about the size of an oegb when they are chicks should you be able to tell the size between a standard size chick and an oegb?

thanks I posted some pictures of a chick and 2 people told me it is an oegb. I didnt think that could be right but I wanted to double check.

Back
Top Bottom