Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Hello folks!
frow.gif

I have asked before on here, but still can't seem to find good quality Ginger Red OEGBs. I know its that time of year when things start going up for sale, so I thought I would try again. I am in upper east TN and looking for juvies or adults. I have limited space right now, so playing roulette with eggs or baby chicks over the winter isn't really what I need. IF anyone might be sorta close and have some or even if you are a breeder of Ginger Reds....drop me a line as I have some questions as well.

Thanks!!
smile.png

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help answer some questions I have about breeding OEGB BBR…

We have an OEGB Black Breasted Brown roo (unknown age) with a quail chest- he's a proud, sweet little fellow, so we were hoping to breed some of his offspring. We were told he wasn't to standard, as his quail chest markings are too intense, and he has an unfortunate, "squirrel tail."

(His other top feather was here, just hidden.)

We were kindly advised to find a female with a lower placement of tail. We looked and looked, and FINALLY found three tiny OEGB Black Breasted Red pullets (one a hen already laying) with a low placement of tail. (The pullet shown has the highest tail.)

I saw their brothers and they all had gorgeous tails. I've heard that these two subbreeds can be bred together just fine with no issues- standard depends on coloring and body type of individual, right?

My questions: How do I go about choosing the best female for him? And don't we have to breed back to him a second generations to get his breed and coloring? He has black feet, the girls all white feet- is this an issue we will need to watch? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated before we start hoping for grandchicks. : ) He's such a lovely roo, we just don't know how long he's going to have, as he was full grown (with long spurs) when he was purchased.

Also, how long are eggs good before incubating or under a broody?
Many thanks!

My poultry husbandry skills are limited, so maybe someone with more breeding experience will chime in soon.

Personally, I don't see why you couldn't breed him to all three hens and just see what you get. I am not familiar with his variety, so really can't say anything about what to watch for in shank color, etc. When breeding livestock you always try to breed to an animal that possesses the qualities you want, not to the opposite hoping to even it out. I would bet the same could be said of chickens and tails. He has a high tail, so breed him to a hen with a correct tail. If you breed to a hen with a tail that is "too low" then you risk getting chicks with high tails or low tails, instead of correct tails.

I have held eggs up to 10 days and had them hatch, but I like to try and get them incubating one way or another before they are 7 days old.

Last edited:
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help answer some questions I have about breeding OEGB BBR…

We have an OEGB Black Breasted Brown roo (unknown age) with a quail chest- he's a proud, sweet little fellow, so we were hoping to breed some of his offspring. We were told he wasn't to standard, as his quail chest markings are too intense, and he has an unfortunate, "squirrel tail."

We were kindly advised to find a female with a lower placement of tail. We looked and looked, and FINALLY found three tiny OEGB Black Breasted Red pullets (one a hen already laying) with a low placement of tail. (The pullet shown has the highest tail.)

I saw their brothers and they all had gorgeous tails. I've heard that these two subbreeds can be bred together just fine with no issues- standard depends on coloring and body type of individual, right?

My questions: How do I go about choosing the best female for him? And don't we have to breed back to him a second generations to get his breed and coloring? He has black feet, the girls all white feet- is this an issue we will need to watch? Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated before we start hoping for grandchicks. : ) He's such a lovely roo, we just don't know how long he's going to have, as he was full grown (with long spurs) when he was purchased.

Many thanks!

Breeding Brown Red to Black Breasted Red is a recipe for disaster and a bunch of culls. Both exist in large numbers of good quality birds, I would pick what color you wanted and get some good quality breeders of that variety.

Many thanks!

If you are set on breeding from that male for some reason go ahead-it won't matter what females you breed him to. If you want to approach breeding OEGBs seriously there's no reason at all to use that male [not too impressed with the females either].
OEGBs are the most popular & easy to find chickens in the country. they are the biggest class at every show I've attended in at least the last 25 years. There are always some good ones for sale at pretty much any show. Save yourself some time, money & frustration-buy some better birds.
As to your egg storage question-viability falls off quickly if eggs are stored more than 10 days before setting.

WallabyOfChaos, BGMatt, and NYREDS, thank you all very kindly for your thoughts and tough love advice. Much appreciated. Of course, it is disappointing news... however, it is much better to have honest feedback from experienced people then spend years on a project not worthy of spending effort on. Looks like these little birds will all go into the 'purely pet' category. : )
NYREDS, thank you especially for the suggestion of going to a show to purchase nice birds- never realized that this was even an option. In our rural area of Northern Ca, we have to travel an hour and a half to even get to the nearest farm center, so pickings are slim. Purchasing birds online isn't really a good option as well- as we have an extra day added, rerouting to our PO. Thanks again for all your help!

WallabyOfChaos, BGMatt, and NYREDS, thank you all very kindly for your thoughts and tough love advice. Much appreciated. Of course, it is disappointing news... however, it is much better to have honest feedback from experienced people then spend years on a project not worthy of spending effort on. Looks like these little birds will all go into the 'purely pet' category. : )
NYREDS, thank you especially for the suggestion of going to a show to purchase nice birds- never realized that this was even an option. In our rural area of Northern Ca, we have to travel an hour and a half to even get to the nearest farm center, so pickings are slim. Purchasing birds online isn't really a good option as well- as we have an extra day added, rerouting to our PO. Thanks again for all your help!

Closest show to you is probably Pacific Poultry Breeders show, Stockton, CA in Jan. (Which is also the biggest show on the west coast) Shows on the west coast are fairly spread out. A lot of CA folk come north for PNPA and WFF shows up here in WA too and there's a lot of breeders from up here that travel south to Stockton and beyond (I'm not up on further south shows). Juvenile or adult birds can be shipped very safely as well.

Back
Top Bottom