Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Chocolate rooster ( gold leakage in his wing due to having the lemon gene in his blood)

young lemon platinum pair

pretty much the same, the large fowl hurt more if you get attacked. the bantams are harder to catch.

when challenged they will defend themselves just the same as large fowl.

i will say that when kept separately with a couple of hens they are very easy to handle most of the time. if they seem aggressive give them some lettuce or something to occupy their time more, usually they will calm down.

How aggressive can the bantam be? I know the standard can be aggressive with other roos but I want to know about the bantam kind compared to the standard.

Depends drastically on the line. If a bird shows any human aggression it's chicken and dumplings. As far as toward other males, some folks might not mind, these are miniature game fowl after all. However the lines I have (and all except one in the past) do not have that streak in them. I run all the males, cocks and cockerels alike together in non-breeding season and there's never more than an occasional very brief squabble.

Last edited:
How aggressive can the bantam be? I know the standard can be aggressive with other roos but I want to know about the bantam kind compared to the standard.

There's no meaninful answer to this question. Aggression, like other behaviors, can vary widely from strain to strain & even bird to bird within a strain. As a general rule OEGBs aren't overly aggressive but I've seen some that were very aggressive. Among the various varieties the Blacks. in my experience, are the most aggressive. I've been attacked by them many times when going to remove a bird from a show cage. That said, they weigh 24 ounces so how much damage can they do.
While many people here say they cull for aggression it's never been a factor I consider. As I've said before I'm a 200 pound man witha Black Belt-I'm not worried about getting hurt by a chicken. When judging I always request the AOSB class so I can do the large Games. I expect them to be aggressive & most of them are.

There's no meaninful answer to this question. Aggression, like other behaviors, can vary widely from strain to strain & even bird to bird within a strain. As a general rule OEGBs aren't overly aggressive but I've seen some that were very aggressive. Among the various varieties the Blacks. in my experience, are the most aggressive. I've been attacked by them many times when going to remove a bird from a show cage. That said, they weigh 24 ounces so how much damage can they do.
While many people here say they cull for aggression it's never been a factor I consider. As I've said before I'm a 200 pound man witha Black Belt-I'm not worried about getting hurt by a chicken. When judging I always request the AOSB class so I can do the large Games. I expect them to be aggressive & most of them are.

My hens seem to have a dominate aggression.

Back
Top Bottom