Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
I went out and took some new pictures today so I thought I would try to revive this forum.I am going to try to post these but no guarantees.
31018_chickens_230.jpg
31018_chickens_228.jpg
31018_chickens_224.jpg
31018_046.jpg
31018_045.jpg

here is a dubbing question for everyone...I have a really REALLY nice pair of creles....I hadn't even considered showing them until they were older but a breeder friend of mine insists that I would be crazy Not to show them this season....This leads to the question: The pair was hatched in March. I generally don't dub my cocks until they are AT LEAST 10 months old. I have dubbed earlier but some of the combs seem to grow slightly and make the dubbing job look horrible. So my question Do I dub this little 3 month old cockerel now to make him show worthy ? or should I just wait and dub him next fall ? or should I just show him undubbed ? which would seem opposite to what should be done. With his potential I wouldn't want to ruin him before he has a chance but I'm sure people dub young show roosters, Just Not Sure...

We dont dub any cockerels until they are at least six months old.If their tale isnt finished by then we will wait until it is.Three months is way to early.

We have never shown any thing less than six months old.We usually shoot for around seven or eight months old at showtime for the cockerels.

I just got my first OEGB. I am really liking them,
smile.png
. I got a pair of chocolates and a chocolate sport pullet.
I am gonna be picking up a pair of young self blues later today, and I am planning on getting a pair/trio/quad
of porcelain sometime in the near future. But here are my two chocolates and my sport. What do yall think?
I was told by a fellow on here these two are dun, not chocolate...they were sold to me as chocolate by a man I
was recommended to as a good breeder of show birds. What is the difference between choc. and dun, and how
do you tell the difference? I do know that the guy I got these off of got the color from fawn duckwing oegb.

Casanova.JPG

Casanova. He is so sweet, I wasnt expecting them to be like this. He will follow me around wanting to be
held. He is a little under a year old. Waiting for him to get his tail feathers in.
Choc_Pair.JPG

Casanova and his lady, Godiva. She is a sweetie too.
Godiva.JPG

Godiva. She just came out of being broody, so she is a little rough looking.
sport.JPG

I havent named this little lady. Her mama was a chocolate, dont know what color her daddy was. Any ideas? She looks
dusky colored, but she is a real pale blue/gray color with pale gold hackles.

Quote:
that is the age I try to get the deal done, as well....I intended to dub him and a few of my other cockerels in the fall. So would he be disqualified because he was undubbed even though he is too young to be dubbed? Do you early dub the 6 month old cocks that you show?

()relics :

Quote:
that is the age I try to get the deal done, as well....I intended to dub him and a few of my other cockerels in the fall. So would he be disqualified because he was undubbed even though he is too young to be dubbed? Do you early dub the 6 month old cocks that you show?

Dubbing only takes 2 weeks to heal. You dub at 6 monthes and show at 7 monthes.​

()relics :

Quote:

I don't show birds but I thought I read somewhere once that cockerals (under 1 year old) will not be disqualified if they are not dubbed. I could be wrong though. I would try to find out who is a judge in your area and ask.​

Back
Top Bottom