Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
Quote:
bantiesrule, you can sex oegb chicks with chipmunk pattern by looking at the black line on the eyes....a solid blk line run all the way is a female a fade or no line is a male. I got them all correct on 4 of my hatches....an old cocker thought me that when I bought his birds.

In the pic, three chicks close to the mom are female and the one on bottom right is a male....you might need to zoom it.
34472_picture_jp3_07_30_10_019.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's a photo of one I recently finished. There are three of these "apartments" side by side, each one is 4'x4'x6' I haven't painted yet, so it might be hard to see everything well. I also have a tarp that I pull over the front, during bad weather, but in my area, I'm more concerned with heat, than cold. I keep 2 birds in each apartment. I've also added a roost on the left side about halfway up, but I think I did that after the pic was taken.

IMG_2088020.jpg

Quote:
bantiesrule, you can sex chicks with chipmunk pattern by looking at the black line on the eyes....a solid blk line run all the way is a female a fade or no line is a male. An old cocker thought me that.

In the pic, three chicks close to the mom are female and the one on bottom right is a male....you might need to zoom it
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_picture_jp3_07_30_10_019.jpg

I've heard that before, but I've never had chicks to really compare.

Quote:
Here's a photo of one I recently finished. There are three of these "apartments" side by side, each one is 4'x4'x6' I haven't painted yet, so it might be hard to see everything well. I also have a tarp that I pull over the front, during bad weather, but in my area, I'm more concerned with heat, than cold. I keep 2 birds in each apartment. I've also added a roost on the left side about halfway up, but I think I did that after the pic was taken.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t222/chaili1025/IMG_2088020.jpg

I too am looking at ways to house OEGB. The most I would have penned together at once would be 1 pair. I like these apartments but do you think they could be built just a little smaller if it was only 2 birds in each?

Quote:
bantiesrule, you can sex oegb chicks with chipmunk pattern by looking at the black line on the eyes....a solid blk line run all the way is a female a fade or no line is a male. I got them all correct on 4 of my hatches....an old cocker thought me that when I bought his birds.

In the pic, three chicks close to the mom are female and the one on bottom right is a male....you might need to zoom it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/34472_picture_jp3_07_30_10_019.jpg

That what I would say. All my chicks are easy to sex as day olds. The males are lighter and don't have a dark stripe on the eye. What color are they?

Quote:

I am not sure how true that will hold, I think that one might go hand in hand with the old saying if the egg is pointy it is a cockerel, and if it is round it is a pullet...how are you gonna sex solid colored chicks? But maybe you are onto something there, who knows. Only a few varieties come colored like that, and I could be wrong, but if it was that simple to sex them, it would be pretty well known by now...but hey, thats just my opinion, worth what it cost ya...as for OEGB pens, ya, you can get them in small pens, but would you rather live in a one room cabin, or a big old fashioned two story house? They can get by with little room, but you will have have happier, healthier birds if you can give them plenty of room...

Last edited:
spangled%20trio.JPG

I am using pens that are 3x6x4 foot tall for trios and quads...you can get more in there but the more space they have the healthier and happier they will be. I would put together some 4x8 pens for them and add a couple more hens but i really like the pens they are in now...

Back
Top Bottom