Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
Well I just need one cockerel for a project of mine. I usually don't do projects with the Ameraucanas because I try just to promote the varieties that we have already established but I think this will be a hit.

Here's my OEGB chick that died a couple days after this pic was taken.
sad.png

86025_131.jpg

Any idea what happened to the chick?

My Australorp went broody this week, and her eggs aren't fertile, so I stuck 4 OEGB eggs under her. I'm hoping that it will turn out okay? Is there anything I need to know about using a LF broody for banty chicks? I plan to pull her out of the general population this weekend, into a broody retreat, so she and any chicks that hatch will be safe from the other hens.

I had some questions regarding coloring, on the OEGB and in chickens in general. I am pretty familiar with dog and horse coloring and how it is passed on. What I was wondering is, is it the same or similar in the chicken. For instance, are there certain colors or "patterns" that are always passed on in that state? For instance if you have labs and you breed a choc and a yellow or black you get either choc or yellow or black pups, you dont get yellow and choc multi colored pups. The shades of yellow or choc may vary with the pups but they are all still gonna come out as a solid color. Or in horses you can breed a spotted horse to a solid horse and depending on the genes of the parents (hetero or homozygous) you have a certain chance of getting a spotted horse or a solid horse. So I was wondering if there were certain colors or patterns in the chickens that worked the same way.... Like if you bred a black to a white do you get blacks and whites or do you get like greys? Thanks, I was just curious....
Lisa

Some colors in chickens can do that. for example: black and blue, black and white, and others.

Hi...
smile.png
I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have 5 OEGB...1 hen and 4 Roos...actually they are only 15 weeks old...They have the most personality of any chickens I have ever seen...they are so much fun to watch. They are BBR and very colorful, and I would like to know more about them, thus following this thread...will post pics when I have the ten post. Nice to meet you all...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom