Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Pics
I will put some more up when I have time, I have several very well built cockrells this year demonstrating much tighter feather, shorter leg, and lower heavier breast with little to no tail fluff.
Gumbi, I have all of mine committed that I intend to let go of however if a deal falls through I can let you know or Ron should have plenty this fall. I only intended to let 4 trios go this year, after sending some of my F2 pullets to wayne it cut me shorter than expected on good typed birds but it has worked out better for the variety.
Hoping to have the standard submitted to apa and aba later this year, if we can get a good showing at the nationals this year with better type this will be a big help in getting the breed club behind the idea.

Quote:
This is Carl, ron and I worked on developing a proposed standard for everyone to breed toward.
Would you like to see the pure Opal, early opal white cross for type, or some of this years young birds? They getting much better.

Lol..I forgot about you Carl!!...ol...Sorry.... I wanna see some of them!!

No Big deal, I really don't sell the Opals I gave some to wayne, and one other guy last year but there was a very good reason behind those, and I believe it is working out better.

jaksdl;fja;kldfja;klsdfjak;slfj;af

opal OEGB's.......................................................... need their own thread...

srsly...

i still don't understand how opal works... what's their genetic make up, or how does it work compared to say, dun, choc, blue, self blue and what are the sport versions of them...?

Quote:
Lol..I forgot about you Carl!!...ol...Sorry.... I wanna see some of them!!

No Big deal, I really don't sell the Opals I gave some to wayne, and one other guy last year but there was a very good reason behind those, and I believe it is working out better.

Kjundog? How's him and ole cocky doing? MAn I ain't been on the board in awhile.I need to get by there...I absolutely LOVE the fella in the last pic!!! You can send him my way...lol.. Gonna PM you about somethin...

Quote:
In oegb at least, what people are calling chocolate is actually dun. There is a chocolate gene, but as far as I know, it is only seen in orpingtons and seramas at this point. Dun is an incomplete dominant, as is blue. Self blue breeds totally different. Carl, correct me if Im wrong, but I believe Opal x Opal gives you 100% opal. I believe it breeds similiar to self blue. But carl will fill us in on it.

Last edited:
Quote:

Kjundog? How's him and ole cocky doing? MAn I ain't been on the board in awhile.I need to get by there...I absolutely LOVE the fella in the last pic!!! You can send him my way...lol.. Gonna PM you about somethin...

Your inbox is full.

Quote:
Gumbii,
When breeding two Opal birds directly that have had no recent addition of other varieties they will breed true. Ron made several crosses to try to determine what the base was with no luck.
I can tell you the color itself has been popping up as early as 1986 when it was first documented and culled out. I can also tell you it does appear in other fowl in other countries. In other breeds and countries it has always appeared from Self Blue and isabel (Porcelian)
It is recesive to Dominant white, based on Ron's matings.
It Produces Black Offspring when Breed to Self Blue
It Produces Black Offspring when breed to Black
When Crossed with BB red it produced Black, Brown Red and BB red.
The Above crosses and others were made by Ron,
I have only used 1 cross which was with Recessive white to improve Type and feather quality. For This cross I used a Dark Opal male with 5 generations of no crosses behind him and proven breeder producing nothing out of ordinary.
From that all the females had some color but were brighter white in plumage than truly desired, the Males were the same both had diluted leg color.

Quote:

Your inbox is full.

I saw that this morning... Cleared out now...

Gumbii,
I understand you have or hatch some Porcelian? How is the size, type, tail retention of males past first year, and pattern? Do you get proper pattern on them such as this?
30249_porcelian_pattern.jpg

Back
Top Bottom