Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
There are no real plans for fly pen, they can be anything from a 4ft circle of wire that is 5-6 ft high for 1 bird up to a building like a 40x50 for many just something to give them space and excersize.

Cockrell and pullet culls have a few potential fates depending what they culled for, Type culls often become dinner (placed in freezer in groups of 10), color culls depending on the fault may have a use and could be usefull in producing a desired trait, and proginy test culls still may have a use based on the problem with the offspring and additional varieties a person is working with.
As an example of the last I had two white hens that always produced pidgeon breasted cockrells, I had the Opals that were need of a lower fuller breast and shorter leg. So I used these two hens in a cross to get the desired traits in the Opal then disposed of then disposed of the hens.

Some culls that are very close to making the final cut or have breeding potential are allowed to leave to folks who are looking to make some inprovements in thier birds that the bird has the ability to offer. The fate is truly based on the fault and severity of the fault.

I have seen so many different styles of fly pens people use.Everyone has their own ideas.Ours are in a rows of 4 pens per row..They are 8ft long x 4ft wide each.As far as any culls,I give a few to people around here that I know wont try to breed and sell them.They just want a few barn birds running around.

Quote:
It takes 10 OE Bantams to make a decent meal for 3-4 people, kind of like a quail when around 12-15 weeks of age.
Opal is an interesting variety to say the least, I do not sell any ans they do not properly represent the breed yet in my opinion. I have given a few to friends that will work with them.
30249_cockside.jpg

Quote:
The bird pictured above is the result of several generations of Opal on Opal no out cross, The line that I crossed with white is doing much better now 3 generations past the cross.
If you will notice the excess tail fluff at the base of the tail, all of the Opals I have had or have seen have very loose feathering with excess under down which causes this fault, they also have fluff in the hackle feathers causing the hackle to stand out much like a D'anver. They also have a much more vertical body carriage and flatter high breast again much like a D'anver.
The Birds that resulted from the cross have been short on color but it is coming around rather well, I beleive I have 2-3 cockrells and 2-3 pullets that will be much more appropriate to show as OE this year, they are much tighter in feather with very little under down, consdierably lower, broader, and heavier in breast with better body and wing carriage. I expect it will take a nother 3-4 generations to get them right but they are showing much improvement at least to the point I beleive they are worthy of being seen.

Have any of you Oklahoma guys heard anything about the fall all game show at Pryor?I was at the show up there in March and they were talking about having one.They were saying mid November.I dont think I could make it anyway with Fayetteville,and Haynesville but I may try.

Quote:
last I heard they were still discussing mid Nov. they were asking a few weeks ago to confirm they would have a turn out. I will try to find it and get more information. Personally i would like to try to make 3-4 double shows before shawnee hits.

Quote:
The bird pictured above is the result of several generations of Opal on Opal no out cross, The line that I crossed with white is doing much better now 3 generations past the cross.
If you will notice the excess tail fluff at the base of the tail, all of the Opals I have had or have seen have very loose feathering with excess under down which causes this fault, they also have fluff in the hackle feathers causing the hackle to stand out much like a D'anver. They also have a much more vertical body carriage and flatter high breast again much like a D'anver.
The Birds that resulted from the cross have been short on color but it is coming around rather well, I beleive I have 2-3 cockrells and 2-3 pullets that will be much more appropriate to show as OE this year, they are much tighter in feather with very little under down, consdierably lower, broader, and heavier in breast with better body and wing carriage. I expect it will take a nother 3-4 generations to get them right but they are showing much improvement at least to the point I beleive they are worthy of being seen.

That's sooo neat! What did you do to 'create' the color?

Back
Top Bottom