Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

if my silverduckwing roo bred to my birchen hen what would my results look like? i don't plan on showing just curious

103121_duckwing1.jpg

Quote:
Thanks, Im working on Buff Old English, I didnt have any buff pullets so I put my buff Cock in with a red pyle hen just to see what the results would be, and kinda test breed for type, the hen wasn't anything special, just a hatchery bird, The resulting cockerell I though was pretty decent type wise, The biggest fault I have is over all size.

Quote:
Overall based on the picture, Not bad he is young still and some things will change, such as tail structure and carriage, wing carriage may lift with time and conditioning.
With that said, raise the wing and shorten the leg. That alone should be a good goal for next years matings.

Quote:
there really is not much to gain for either variety through the cross, eye color, leg color, and pattern will be messed up in both sexes. Then based on where the Birchen came from if they are actual birchen or an extended black look alike, you will have a silvery white hackle in both sexes, silvery white hackle, saddle, and wing bow in the males and the possibility of some showing some wing bay.

Working on these birds is a real joy, it takes focus and decide what you want to fix one or two things at a time, I have a group of birds we have worked for a total of 8 generations and finally have the first ones i feel are worthy of being shown. there are still a few things I am working to change but they have come along way.
hatch as many as you can, cull very hard, and keep only the ones showing the most improvement. never sacrifice type for color as you can always get color back. It is the rare bird that gets everything in one package none are perfect and compensation mating while improving them is a key. Line breeding will also make a very big difference, avoid bringing in new blood while improving them this reduces the un-known conditions. If you need better type understand what you have, locate a variety and line with the traits you want, run a test mating if it works out to some degree increase the numbers you hatch from that mating, try to run them in multiple trio matings so to develop a family to work from. This has worked for me.

we took the birds from this
30249_sany1530.jpg

to this in three generations.
30249_sany2038.jpg

with intermediate steps, such as this male
30249_white_cross_result_male.jpg

It takes time, and patients,, you can get anywhere with focus.

i still need to raise wing carriage, broaden the skull, deepen the breast, and stiffen the feather but next year should prove even better.

I failed to mention a mistake I have made, this will save you alot of headaches.. Try not to breed for cockrells too much if at all possible wait for them to get past thier first adult molt. This will allow you to breed for tail retention as well. I made this mistake and ended up with a lin ethat develops and looks good as cockrells and pullets and looses most of tail in thier first adult molt at 16 months. It is very agrivating and hard to get back.

is there very many ppl breeding buffs??? im not an expert by any means but ive not seen any buffs in the shows ive been to... i have heard that sometimes buffs have the dun gene in them... i am breeding duns and some of the dun colors so i am just wondering...

Back
Top Bottom