Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
they have a good body, I would force molt them and see what you get. The white I see is likely due to illness or excess stress when molting the hen if she has a white feather it is possiblt from damage to a blood feather. Put them on lights at 15 hrs a day for two weeks and higher protien feed, then cut the lighting to 9 hrs a day and reduce protien to 13-14% they will begin to molt. Switch them to a 20% protien feed and 10 hrs of light. wait 10-12 weeks and see what you have.

thanks, ill give it a go
theres a heat lamp in the coop on at all times bc i have young guineas still in need of heat
so its light in there all the time

I assume u know that having adult birds on light all the time will stress them out and cause sickness.

yea i knew that
they free range so their not under the light all the time per say
plus its a red heat lamp and supriseingly it only lights up the floor so up in the rafters where they roost, its pretty black

smile.png
gotgame, I have a question. What is the difference in the Blue/red oe and the wheaton oe? Is it the color in the hackle feathers?
The bird in the pictures looks like a blue/red. Please help.

Quote:
Blue Red is a Blue BB red. Whereas as the Blue Wheaton is Whaton based, the differences in males in are minor, there are considerable differnces in pattern and color of teh females. however a BB red or Blue red should not have the hackle fade of that the wheaton has, BB Red the wing bay is often darker as is teh wing bow. With all of that in mond it is not uncommon for male line wheatons to be a cross with BB red.

Quote:
Very nice. Probably the pics, but they all look like they need a tighter higher wing carriage, but huge improvement over last year. The opal is real impressive, considering where u were with them this time last year. Cant wait to see the silver blues now.

Matt, in general thier wing carriage is better, but thats what happens when you pop them down in a show coop where they are not familiar with things. They are a dramatic improvement from last year. then again we both know I'm no photographer.

Quote:
Gena,
She looks nice in this picture, teh bottom tail faether is not finished here and is just above horizontal. back length is not bad, looks like more of a male line bird with some focus on teh female at the same time. It would appear you have a good start to a single mated line. I assume she finished better with a bit more age, they typically will when they have a nice body as a pullet they usually really pack it on as a hen. I like the head, comb, head and breast carriag. wing length, and wing carriage is nice. I personally like a touch shorter back but length of back is a personal choice as teh standard simply calls for moderately short.
Feather transition from head, hackle, to back, and cushion to tail look good as well. Overall a nice bird that could have minor improvements to tail carriage.

Quote:
Very nice. Probably the pics, but they all look like they need a tighter higher wing carriage, but huge improvement over last year. The opal is real impressive, considering where u were with them this time last year. Cant wait to see the silver blues now.

Here is what I see, although I am much happier with these this year,
The firs Pullet, tail carriage needs some attention, and would like to head a bit broader. and as with any Birchen breast lacing isn't quite right but close.
30249_sany2057.jpg

the second Pullet, needs wing carriage worked on, and breast lacing improved.
30249_sany2068.jpg

The Third Pic with the Opal pullet, wing length and carriage still need work, width of head needs improved, tail angle is still a bit high. Leg length i would like to see reduced a bit more, and breast width could still use some improvement. the Nice part is teh young male I have set asside should help compensate for most of that so should have even better birds next year.
30249_sany2056.jpg

as with any of bird there is always room for improvement. One day i will be happy with them.

Last edited:
Quote:

Here is what I see, although I am much happier with these this year,
The firs Pullet, tail carriage needs some attention, and would like to head a bit broader. and as with any Birchen breast lacing isn't quite right but close.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_sany2057.jpg

the second Pullet, needs wing carriage worked on, and breast lacing improved.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_sany2068.jpg

The Third Pic with the Opal pullet, wing length and carriage still need work, width of head needs improved, tail angle is still a bit high. Leg length i would like to see reduced a bit more, and breast width could still use some improvement. the Nice part is teh young male I have set asside should help compensate for most of that so should have even better birds next year.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/30249_sany2056.jpg

as with any of bird there is always room for improvement. One day i will be happy with them.

You have improved the birchen and opals a lot, cant wait to see ur birchens when u are happy with them. I dont see that much wrong with the first birchen pullets tall carriage, but the spread on the second one is just about right, at least imo. My spangled have a long long way to go to where I am happy with them.

smile.png
Guess I should take some pictures of my birds and post them. I have had OE's for around 5 or 6 years, simply because I have always enjoyed them. Now, with duties of poultry leader I am finding that I want to work and show my birds. Its like the kids want me to. So, I am gearing up to make some shows in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom