Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Quote:
of the three options, I would go with the splash.
splash when bred to splash will always produce splash. one big advantage of the three options. next is they will also be easiest to locate better stock to improve them. When bred to the best blacks that can be had you get better type, and 100% blue offspring. If bred to a very good blue you will get 1/2 blue and 1/2 splash most of better type as well.

Golden Duckwing does not breed true as evidenced by that particular male, mostly silver with a small amount of red / gold leakage in wing bow, a very poor breeder bird choice. Golden Duckwing females based on teh standard are and should be shown as Silver Duckwing hens / pullets however this is not adhered to.

Blue Quail,
Athough a beautiful bird that one if young has considerable type faults that will only get worse with age and will require very good stock from either Blue quail or Quail to resolve and years of work. Good quality quail and blue quail are hard to locate and pricey when you do.

Ther are my thoughts for a novice getting involved with the birds.

idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
i think porcelain is a dilution of the millie fleur color. i think you could use lavender and millie fleur but i am no weres near being sure on that though

Quote:
Porcelain is extremely difficult to make and get right. Jarvis has porcelain that he made, he can fill u in on all the particulars.

Quote:
It is not andalusion blue in base. They are Millie Fluer patterned birds, they are result of teh final cross that also produces millie Fluer, some early millie will still produce porcelian as well since the self blue is recessive to the buff from the buff columbian.

If you want to get into porcelian hot me up in a few months.. I have some now that I will not let go of but will be hatching more.

Quote:
i think porcelain is a dilution of the millie fleur color. i think you could use lavender and millie fleur but i am no weres near being sure on that though

Peale x Buff Columbian, then F1xF1, less than 10% will be millie or Porcelian. Th eproblem is you will also have to make the Buff Columbian and Pearle to do this.

Thanks for the input everyone, I went and picked up the splash yesterday and they are very lively and full of character, I think the roo is still learning how to crow because right now its just funny and it looks like he is trying really hard, lol. Hopefully I can find a couple of nice blacks or blues to throw in there, maybe trade out one of the hens. One of the hens had some wild toe nails, do you just trim them to fix them or what, also the same hen is a little long in the beak also.

Quote:
Dog toe nail trimmers work great, trim them back but not into the quick.. if they are still too long, the quick will die back some and you can trim a little at a time over 6-8 weeks to get them back normal.

You can trim the beaks too. or place a small concrete block or abrasive rock in teh pen.

Back
Top Bottom